1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas mixture problem!

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this out, but I just can't seem to get this question:

When a 10.0g mixture of Ca(ClO3)2 abd Ca(ClO)2 is heated to 973 Kelvins in a 10.0 L vessel, both compounds decompose, forming O2 and CaCl2. The final pressure inside the vessel is 1.00 atm. What is the mass of each compount in the original mixture?

What I have done:
    Used ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles in final mixture of gas. Got ~0.125 moles

I then let (x) be the initial grams of Ca(ClO3)2 and (x-10) be the initial grams of Ca(ClO)2. I wrote the balanced eq'ns for the decomposition for both.

Ca(ClO3)2 --> 3(O2) + CaCl2
    Ca(ClO)2 --> O2 + CaCl2

• If (x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2)= number of moles of Ca(ClO3)2
      Let 3(x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2)= number of moles of O2 in first decomposition
      Let (x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2)= number of moles of CaCl2
    For the 2nd eq'n
    If (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) = number of moles Ca(ClO)2
    Let (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) = number of moles O2 in 2nd decomposition
    Let (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) = number of moles CaCl2 in 2nd decomposition.

(10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) + (10-x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO)2) + 3(x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2) + (x)/(molar mass of Ca(ClO3)2) = 0.125 moles.

I was guessing if I solved for x, I would be able to get the amount of grams...but I keep getting a negative value. I'm not sure why this doesn't work, it seems to make enough sense to me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2
    bump b/c this question owns me
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Check your equation - solids are not gaseous ;)
  5. Oct 20, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?