1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas Of Dipoles

1. Aug 19, 2007 #1
    Suppose we have a gas of randomly oriented (and in random motion) electric dipoles. Obviously the dipoles do not behave as free particles. How do we describe it's properties? Can we define potential etc. ?
    I am looking for a solution without the large volume approximation. Is it possible to get an expression for the mean kinetic energy etc. of a partical given its total energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2007 #2
    will get some answers here shreyas.
    though i strictly beleive this isseroius mixture of eveidence and thermodynamic arguements

4. Aug 19, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. Aug 19, 2007 #4
    you are talking about a truly many-body problem, where you must (usually) include the induced dipole-induced dipole interactions. if they don't matter, then why bother?

there are ways of doing this numerically, but they are difficult. you can start with an analytic expression by considering a dipole, mu=dq, interacting with a point charge, you'll then get

[tex]
    \nabla_\alpha \nabla_\beta \frac{1}{r}
    [/tex]

as the induced field contribution, which needs to be solved for numerically for anything but the simplest of systems. thats why most molecular simulation techniques ignore induced dipoles.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  6. Aug 20, 2007 #5
    Could you clarify that a bit? I am not used to the standard notations. In my original attempt, I calculated the potential energy of two interacting dipoles in terms of their spacing and orientation. I want to average this out in some way (integrating over the angle obviosly gives net potential energy 0)

Thanks for the help.

7. Aug 20, 2007 #6
    If you're looking for a simple solution, the only viable one is to treat it like a semi-ideal gas. The dipoles have translational, rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom, each of which is 1/2 kT per molecule in this simple approximation.

8. Aug 20, 2007 #7
    the potential energy of interaction between a dipole and a point charge (if you draw out the two charges seperated) that is far away is [tex]\nabla_a (\frac{1}{r})[/tex]

since [tex]E = -\nabla V[/tex] then the dipoles contribution to the induced field is the expression i gave.

do a scholar google search for "molecular polarization" if you are more interested. there are review articles out there that summarize the field. also, Jackson's E&M book may interest you.

9. Sep 4, 2007 #8
    I found in this paper(page no. 4)

Shouldn't there be a term to take care of direction, [tex]U=\frac{\mu_r^2\cos\alpha}{4\pi \epsilon_0}[/tex]?, [tex]\alpha[/tex] is angle between field and the axis

10. Sep 4, 2007 #9
    You can also consider a mean field approximation -- that will allow you to calculate the potential energy due to the orientation of the dipoles. In fact, with that approximation, I guess you'd get a hybrid free-gas / Curie ferromagnet effect, with a phase change due to the orientation. As far as dipole-dipole forces beyond merely torque, perhaps use the Van de Waals approximation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook