1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas Pressure Law

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    the intiial pressure of a mass of dry gas in a rigid vessel is 4.5*10^5Pa. The volume of the vessel is 0.1m^3. It is connected to a vacuum pump, whih consists of a cylinder fitted with a piston. The pump cylinder has a volume of 0.005m^3. i am supposed to determine the number of strokes necessary to reduce the gas pressure to 1*10^5Pa

i used the formula: P_1*V_1 = P_2*(0.1 + n(0.005)), where n is the number of strokes
    P_1 = 4.5*10^5, V_1 = 0.1, P_2 = 1*10^5.

the answer i got is 70 strokes, which according to the book is incorrect. The answer on the book is 31. however, when i substiute 31 instead of n, P_2 is not equal to 1*10^5 Pascals, it is however when i substitute n=70. I'm not sure whether it's a mistake in the book, but i think it is. the first part of the question asks me to find the pressure after 2 strokes. when i substitute 2 in my equation, i get the pressure that he asked for so I'm pretty sure the equation is not wrong.

can someone show me where i'm mistaken please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The book is correct. Your equation is mistaken--it's only correct for a single stroke. (As long as the number of strokes is small it's approximately correct, which explains you getting an OK answer for 2 strokes.)

Answer this: With every stroke the pressure is reduced by what fraction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?