Find Equation for Ideal Gas in Cube Container

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for an ideal gas and specifically focuses on finding the force exerted by an individual particle on a wall. The equation is derived using the rate of change of momentum and the distance before the particle collides with the surface. The concept of impulse is also mentioned and its relationship to the force and time is discussed. The conversation ends with a question about the change in momentum and the correct method to obtain it.
jamie_o
Hello, I am having some difficulty following the method for finding an equation for an ideal gas. There are a few different forms, but I'm proving 1. For an indiviual particle of a gas in a cube container side length L, it is traveling with a velocity of u1 on the x-axis (its x component of velocity is u1). This collides with one surface and rebounds elastically. This would have a velocity -u1 as no kinetic energy was lost. I want to find the force this particle exerts on the wall by its x component. So to find Force i would use rate of change of momentum. the distance before it collides with the surface is 2L. so time = 2L/u1.

so for my equation I now have force = change of momentum
2L/u1

change in momentum equals mv - mu. according to the principal of conservation of momentum would i be correct in saying mv - mu = 0 ?? (v = final velocity, u = initial)

if so, -mu1 - mu1 is the change in momentum -2mu1. Now i was told the change in momentum should be equal to 2mu1. Which leaves me with a problem. Does -2mu1 = 0 ? if so can i easily get 2mu1 by adding it to both sides? which gives me a positive change in momentum. Seems odd to me, can someone please explain that and if that would be the correct way of doing it? I have no problems getting the P = 1/3 rho (mean velocity squared) equation from that, but the change in momentum is bothering me. I could just remember 2mu1, but I would rather know how to work it out properly. Any help is very much appreciated, thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Another term for "change in momentum" is "impulse". You can get the impulse by taking the product of the force exerted and the time it is exerted. Now you need to find a way to get rid of the time: consider that the pressure is the force exerted over an area, and this will depend on the force exerted by each particle (which you're working on), but also on the total number of particles that strike that area in a given time.

Is that enough?

Hi there,

Finding equations for ideal gas behavior can be tricky, so I completely understand your difficulty. Let's break down the steps to finding the equation for an ideal gas in a cube container:

1. Start with the definition of force: force = rate of change of momentum. In your case, the force is the force exerted by the particle on the wall, and the rate of change of momentum is the change in momentum divided by the time it takes for the particle to collide with the wall.

2. Next, we need to find the change in momentum. Remember, momentum is defined as mass times velocity. In this case, the mass of the particle remains constant, so we just need to focus on the change in velocity. The initial velocity is u1, and the final velocity is -u1 (since the particle rebounds with the same velocity in the opposite direction). So the change in velocity is -u1 - u1 = -2u1.

3. Now we need to find the time it takes for the particle to collide with the wall. You correctly stated that the distance before collision is 2L, and the velocity is u1. So we can use the formula time = distance/velocity, which gives us a time of 2L/u1.

4. Putting it all together, we have force = (-2u1)/ (2L/u1) = -2mu1^2/L. This is the force exerted by one particle on the wall.

5. To find the total force exerted by all the particles in the cube container, we need to sum up the forces exerted by each individual particle. Since there are N particles in the container, the total force would be N times the force exerted by one particle. So the final equation would be F = -2Nmu1^2/L.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the process for finding the equation for an ideal gas in a cube container. Remember, the change in momentum is negative because the particle is rebounding in the opposite direction, and we need to consider the total number of particles in the container to find the total force. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is the equation for an ideal gas in a cube container?

The equation for an ideal gas in a cube container is PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How is the ideal gas equation derived for a cube container?

The ideal gas equation is derived from the combined gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of the number of moles of gas and the temperature. This law is then modified to include the ideal gas constant, which takes into account the properties of an ideal gas.

3. What assumptions are made when using the ideal gas equation for a cube container?

The ideal gas equation assumes that the gas particles are in constant random motion and have negligible volume and intermolecular forces. It also assumes that the container is rigid and that the gas particles do not interact with the container walls.

4. Can the ideal gas equation be used for all gases in a cube container?

The ideal gas equation can be used for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases under extreme conditions, such as high pressures or low temperatures.

5. What are the units for each variable in the ideal gas equation for a cube container?

The units for pressure (P) are typically in atmospheres (atm) or Pascals (Pa). The units for volume (V) are typically in liters (L) or cubic meters (m3). The units for temperature (T) are typically in Kelvin (K). The units for the ideal gas constant (R) vary depending on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature.