Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas prices are going up.

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1

Dembadon

Gold Member

I usually park in front of this gas station so I don't have to buy a parking pass for my university, which are very expensive. I almost missed this and thought it was funny:

gas.jpg

I have not altered the photo in any way apart from blurring the name of the station and the weekly message at the bottom of the sign.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

[strike]What does this relate to in dollars per gallon/pounds per litre? I'm not entirely sure what this sign is saying or what it means by 9/10 :shy:[/strike]

EDIT: a bit of googling tells me that that 9/10 means 9/10ths of a cent (I thought it might refer to a measurement of fuel rather than price) which is makes this an amazing price :bugeye: I wish fuel was that cheap here!

In the UK the average price for unleaded petrol is £1.42/litre ($8.70/gallon) and £1.47/litre ($9.01/gallon) for diesel. It's a ridiculous price. Luckily I live near London where public transport means that travel is far cheaper and faster than a car but it's still a prohibitive pain for most people. Alternatives to driving/fossil fuels can't come soon enough.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It has been under $4.00 / gal for quite some time, and only this week did it jump over that. It might not last long, but until I get a car that gets better gas mileage than the one I have, 4$/gal hurts!

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5

Dembadon

Gold Member

Yea, I can't really hold a candle to those prices. :bugeye: Hopefully you have a fuel efficient vehicle.

7. Apr 27, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

Usually I just jump on public transport. Otherwise my preferred mode of transport is pretty efficient; it consists of two wheels and some peddles :wink: I got rid of my last car when it became too expensive and public transport started to look comparatively cheaper.

8. Apr 27, 2012 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

Nice! I got a new bike a few months ago. I now live close enough to the university that I can ride it instead of driving; my previous residence was a 50 minute drive from campus.

9. Apr 27, 2012 #8

Ryan_m_b

Sweet! When I was doing my masters last year I was a 30 minute cycle home, 10-15 minute cycle there (damn hill!). As well as being good exercise I find cycling more fun than driving. Quite a bit scarier though if you're on a busy road with lunatic drivers...

10. Apr 27, 2012 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

Agreed. We got so much snow where I used to live that I had to hang up the bike for most of the winter season (which is usually pretty long). It even when the roads were cleared, one still had to ride too close to the flow of traffic for it to be safe. Ice and close quarters don't mix. :frown: We've moved down about a thousand feet in elevation so the snow accumulation in the winter season is next to nothing. I don't mind riding in cold weather (I just bundle-up), but I won't ride in the snow! People are just too careless with their driving.

11. Apr 27, 2012 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That 9/10 cent is old; it goes back to the 1930s. That the cost per gallon involved fractions of cents made sense when gas was 25 cents per gallon or less. A one cent change in price represented a significant fraction of the total cost back then.

There's also a problem in how stupid people are in general with regard to math. Even when prices where that low, people perceived the 1/10 cent difference between 24 9/10 and 25 as larger than the 9/10 cent difference 24 and 24 9/10. That 9/10 figure quickly became an immutable quantity.

Every once in a while gas stations have charged something other than x.xx 9/10 per gallon. The public's reaction: What's this? Are you trying to cheat us? Are you a communist or sumfin? The result: That 9/10 cent quickly goes back in place.

12. Apr 27, 2012 #11

Ryan_m_b

Lol, standard marketing I suppose. People see a .9 and round down for some reason. In the UK prices are listed to 10ths of a penny but that's because prices tend to be listed in pounds to three decimal places rather than having a fixed fraction e.g. 1.412/L rather than 1.42 1/10 L.

13. Apr 27, 2012 #12

Ryan_m_b

If it snows I much prefer to walk than any other option. If I have to go on a long walk through the snow I'll probably find it enjoyable (so long as I've wrapped up warm) compared to the near death experience that cycling or driving can be.

14. Apr 27, 2012 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I love walking. The problem with living in a hugely rural state is that NOTHING is close and you have to drive. I took my Honda Ridgeline in to my mechanic for an inspection a couple of days ago, and it still has less than 3000 miles on the odometer. At 3000 miles (or less) per year, this truck might last me a while (as long as parts are still available). No sheikhs are buying swimming pools on my dime.

15. May 4, 2012 #14
    It's been going up steadily thanks to perpetual war. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook