Solving Gas Laws: 3H2 + N2 -> 2NH3 at 110 ATM

In summary: You could also say that the mole fraction of each gas is 0.3, 0.6 and 0.1. This would give you the pressure.
Lancelot59
It's a gas problem:

3 volumes N2 and 1 volume of H2 react at 344 degrees Celsius to form NH3. The equilibrium total pressure is 110 ATM and is 41.49% NH3 by volume. Find Kp assuming the gases behave ideally.

So I started by assuming that I had 100L of gas. I worked the ICE table like so:

3H2 + N2 <--> 2NH3
75L_____25L_____0L
-3x_____-x______+2x
12.765L_4.255L___41.49L

Well this gives me volumes. But it's wrong. This is clearly not working. How can I go about it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it not working? I can be missing something, but I think you are on the right track, just not there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to be honest I have no idea what to do now. I have their volumes, but without knowing how many mols of each I have I can't determine their concentrations. Also, I started with 100L, and ended up with only 58.51L at equlibrium...something seems wrong there.

Can you calculate partial pressure of the ammonia at equilibrium? Sum of partial pressures of other gases? Assuming you started with stoichiometric mixture of gases, can you split this sum into pressures of other gases?

I can't see a way to get the pressure of ammonia. I don't know how many mols I have, so the ideal gas law is out.

Not exactly out.

Number of moles of gas is - for a given p, T - directly proportional to its V. If gas occupies half the volume, it also has half the moles of the mixture. This will not give you number of moles, but it will give you their ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see where you're going, but I'm confused.

Lets say this fake gas at 110atm is: 30% X 60%Y and 10%Z by pressure. The empirical formula for the mixture is 3X 6Y Z?

You can put it that way, although it is better to say that mole fraction of X is 0.3, of Y 0.6 and of Z 0.1. Then you can use molar fractions to calculate pressure (Dalton's law).

What is the chemical equation for the gas law 3H2 + N2 -> 2NH3 at 110 ATM?

The chemical equation for this gas law is 3H2 + N2 -> 2NH3. This represents the reaction between 3 molecules of hydrogen gas (H2) and 1 molecule of nitrogen gas (N2) to form 2 molecules of ammonia gas (NH3) at a pressure of 110 atmospheres (ATM).

What does the number 110 represent in this gas law equation?

The number 110 represents the pressure of the system, which is measured in atmospheres (ATM). This means that the reaction is taking place at a pressure of 110 ATM.

What are the reactants and products in this gas law equation?

The reactants in this gas law equation are 3 molecules of hydrogen gas (H2) and 1 molecule of nitrogen gas (N2). The products are 2 molecules of ammonia gas (NH3).

What is the purpose of solving gas laws?

The purpose of solving gas laws is to understand and predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. This can help in various industries, such as chemistry, engineering, and environmental science, to control and optimize reactions and processes involving gases.

How can the ideal gas law be used to solve this equation?

The ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT (where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature), can be used to solve this gas law equation. By plugging in the values for pressure, volume, and temperature, we can calculate the number of moles of each gas involved in the reaction and determine the amount of product that will be formed at 110 ATM.