How to Design a Gas Sampling Probe for Varying Exhaust Gas in a Brick Catalyst?

In summary, the problem is that the exhaust gas varies across the area of the catalyst, so a normal sample probe would read high or low depending on where the probe is located. A tube with holes in it would help to evenly distribute the flow of the gas across the area of the brick, however I'm not sure what size to make the holes. An equation to calculate the size of the hole can be found if you are willing to spend a lot of money on gas analysis equipment.
James125
I want to sample exhaust gas just behind a Catalyst. The problem being the gas varies across the area of the brick so a normal sample probe could read high or low.

The general idea is to use a tube with holes in across the area of the brick, however I'm not sure what size to make the holes as too large and most of the flow will come from the nearest edge of the brick. Presumably the holes will need to get larger the further you go along the tube. But what size to make the holes I'm not sure how to calculate.

I know the length of the sample probe area ~150mm and the flow of the sampling machine. ~0.2g/s Also I know the inside diameter of the probe ~6mm

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why is there a brick in your car? :confused:

By brick I mean catalyst substrate.

This sketch might clarify things;

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/sampleprobe.jpg/

As you can see in order to get even flow I need bigger holes the the further along the probe, but my question is...how big?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that I don't understand this subject enough to help, but it seems to me that the best solution would be to have a disk instead of a tube, which matches the surface area of the catalyst and has evenly spaced equal size holes like a shower head. Would that work for you?

James125 said:
I want to sample exhaust gas just behind a Catalyst. The problem being the gas varies across the area of the brick so a normal sample probe could read high or low.

The general idea is to use a tube with holes in across the area of the brick, however I'm not sure what size to make the holes as too large and most of the flow will come from the nearest edge of the brick. Presumably the holes will need to get larger the further you go along the tube. But what size to make the holes I'm not sure how to calculate.

I know the length of the sample probe area ~150mm and the flow of the sampling machine. ~0.2g/s Also I know the inside diameter of the probe ~6mm

I don't know enough science/physics/math to answer, and would be shocked that there is a specific equation that some how eludes you.

How expensive are "probes"? Can you make your own holes, can you use multiple probes with only one hole and pull statistical data instead? Your situation sounds unique enough that you need to invent the solution. Yay perspiration! :smile:

This is one of the topics that I can hardly understand >.<

Last edited:
jackkingsford said:
This is one of the topics that I can hardly understand >.<

Ah I see, well hope you get to "play" your way to a solution, back to my point about it maybe being to unique to merely calculate an answer.

lol opps it's not even your thread/

How about using a probe with one hole and traversing across the exhaust pipe taking a reading at each point.

email me at droog57@gmail.com
The company I work for occasionally sells Gas Analysis equipment, and no, I'm not planning or trying to sell you anything, our Gas Analysis stuff is mostly for nuclear and chemical plants and costs a LOT, but I CAN put you in touch with some knowledgeable people that could probably help. I would give contacts here, but that would not be fair to them.
Cheers.

Last edited:

What is a gas sampling probe and why is its design important?

A gas sampling probe is a device used to collect samples of gas from a particular location or source. Its design is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of the collected samples, which is crucial for conducting accurate research and experiments.

What factors should be considered when designing a gas sampling probe?

Some important factors to consider when designing a gas sampling probe include the type and concentration of gas being sampled, the temperature and pressure of the gas, the location and accessibility of the sampling site, and any potential contamination or interference from the surrounding environment.

What are some common types of gas sampling probes?

Some common types of gas sampling probes include grab samplers, continuous flow samplers, and sorbent tube samplers. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, so the choice of probe will depend on the specific needs and objectives of the study.

How can the design of a gas sampling probe impact the accuracy of the collected samples?

The design of a gas sampling probe can impact accuracy in several ways. For example, a poorly designed probe may not collect a representative sample, may introduce contamination, or may not be able to withstand the conditions of the sampling site. These factors can all affect the accuracy of the collected samples.

What are some best practices for designing a gas sampling probe?

Some best practices for designing a gas sampling probe include thoroughly understanding the sampling objectives and requirements, carefully selecting appropriate materials and components, considering potential sources of contamination, and conducting rigorous testing and validation of the probe before use.