Efficient Gas Instant Hot Water System with Copper Coil-Cap [Diagram Attached]

In summary, this person is proposing a way to make instant hot water using a coil-cap over a gas cooker burner. They think this might be more efficient than heating water in a pot on the stove. There are many creative ways to scald yourself, but this is not one of them.
Shaawn
[see attached diagram]I've not yet tested this! Trying to find portable instant hot water systems on line, I thought of this: A thin copper tube coil cone that can be placed over a conventional gas cooker burner. The cold water source can be a tap(faucet), raised storage container, or a pump, like for a 12v camping shower, creating a low-flow, instant hot water apparatus. The addition of the copper coil-cap makes it seem more viable. Anyone know of such a thing? Any advice before I try to make one?

Attachments

• gas hot water 3.jpg
    gas hot water 3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,243
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see what the cap would do for you - is the entire coil enclosed?

I don't know if the cap is your proposed innovation, or the gas-powered bit, but there are already gas-fired point-of-use hot water heaters:
http://www.boschhotwater.com/BoschHotWatercomHome/GasProducts/tabid/331/Default.aspx

I used one of these when I was in Hong Kong, and it was great--instant on, and it never ran out while you were using it. It also doesn't pull 40 to 60 A like some of the electric ones do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replies. Of course there are gas instant water heaters, hundreds of makes, sizes, volume capacities... What I'm proposing is an apparatus that anyone with a gas cooker, or small fire, could inexpensively use, where no other hot water source is available. Also, maybe so simple a design it could be home- made by anyone with some copper pipe and tin?- for eg. And ideally more efficient than heating water in a pot on the stove/fire!? That I don't know? Just how economical in terms of heat transfer, fuel consumption and financially? The "cap" serves to concentrate the heat and circulate it around the coils, rather than just having the heat from underneath(or sides)! The coils could even be incorporated into the "cap" like a water-jacket. Conventional instant gas water heaters, are housed in casings.It would probably increase the efficiency dramatically.Here's another pic - of coils in a casing (like a prototype) (conceptually). As I think about it more and more I'm becoming aware of other design considerations and potentials... the connections, especially to the hot water pipe might need some kind of pressure valve or special fittings; that could otherwise be quite dangerous!? Of course, the diameter of the pipe, the length of pipe in coil receiving heat, would have to be determined.(the diagrams are not really to scale exactly)(& here it's not symetrical)

Attachments

• gas hot casing handle quick connectors 2(labeled)1.JPG
    gas hot casing handle quick connectors 2(labeled)1.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 569
  • gas hot casing diagram with tap and shower.jpg
    gas hot casing diagram with tap and shower.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
The cap wouldn't concentrate heat nearly as well as something insulating would (it'd keep the heat in the coils and not escaping as readily). It's all about increasing surface area--something like a radiator grill over the fire (with water flowing through it) would probably work quite well also.

I agree, an insulated casing would be ideal - and safer! I was thinking - simple, cheap, even home-made. An insulated 'water-jacket' would be great: that means the coils could be included/incorporated into the casing possibly achieving maximum heat transfer potential. I have no idea which material might be used for insulation at the moment except another casing spaced away from the inner? The outer casing could be interiorly insulated with some kind of fabric? I imagine the interior casing could get red hot! It'll need to be ventilated, so heat will escape. Possibly the heat capture and transfer could be improved with a thicker casing material to absorb more heat, maybe thicker walled pipes, or thinner...? The radiator idea is great, I'd like to try that sometime!Here's yet another diagram, not very helpful?, re casings and insulations:

Attachments

• gas hot sections through casings.jpg
    gas hot sections through casings.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
This seems like a very bad idea. Yes, you can construct a heat exchanger that will work with a camp stove or fire, but you will have no control over temperature. It will take a roaring fire to deal with more than a trickle flow, and if you stop flowing water or reduce the flowrate then you have a steam generator.

There are many creative ways to scald yourself, but I can't recommend this one. Why not make a shower tank that goes over the stove and has a thermometer. When the temperature gets where you want it you can take the tank off and hang it up for a shower.

Edit:
Alternatively you could have a thermostatic control valve on the outlet to keep the water at a fixed temperature through bypass flow. It would still have problems with steam, but it would keep you from scalding yourself!

If you use a bit of automotive technology and create a supply loop into the 'heat exchanger' with a thermostat on the discharge end then once the water in the loop met the proper temperature then it would be released. The thermostat would have to be calibrated to proper temperature but that would not be difficult to do, nor would it be difficult to have made.

well I agree it's potentially a little dangerous... but remember, it's instant hot water, so the operating temperature must be determined while there's flow. I suppose, with some fine-engineering, a thermostatic pre-flow system would be viable. Camp showers (eg 12v) if I remember correctly can have flow rates of 3-6liters/m! So.. the amount of heat(intensity of the flame/burner/fire) and the amount of coil exposed to it + the specs of the materials involved, fine tuned, could surely do it?! A thermostat is more than is provided with conventional gas instant geysers? I speculate! The heat source is adjustable. With this contraption, if the cold water supply is a tap/faucet, the flow rate is easily controllable(maybe too with small pump?). Without a thermostatic flow activator and no free flow - it's a bomb!(view diagram-cautiously!)

Attachments

• bust gas hot casing diagram with tap and shower.jpg
    bust gas hot casing diagram with tap and shower.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
here's a similar concept (lost the diagram)X found!

Zodi Fire Coil Water Heater
Available Fall 2009
The Zodi Fire Coil delivers hot water with just a camp fire. Simply connect the Fire Coil to two stacked water jugs then place the coil in camp fire. Water flows from the elevated jug through the Fire Coil and into the lower empty water jug. For hotter water just repeat sequence. The lightweight and compact Fire Coil will provide your camp with unlimited hot water. Also works with gas stoves and fire pans.
Zodi Fire Coil Camp Water Heater

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 543
Shaawn said:
here's a similar concept (lost the diagram)X found!

Zodi Fire Coil Water Heater
Available Fall 2009
The Zodi Fire Coil delivers hot water with just a camp fire. Simply connect the Fire Coil to two stacked water jugs then place the coil in camp fire. Water flows from the elevated jug through the Fire Coil and into the lower empty water jug. For hotter water just repeat sequence. The lightweight and compact Fire Coil will provide your camp with unlimited hot water. Also works with gas stoves and fire pans.
Zodi Fire Coil Camp Water Heater

Boy does this bring back some memories. We used this principal while camping back in the 60s. We had 5 gal bucket with a copper loop brazed to the side. Fill with water, but the loop in the fire and in just a few minutes you had 5gals of hot water. Of course the permanent loop on a 5gal can was a pain to hike with, but we managed.

What is gas simple instant hot water?

Gas simple instant hot water is a type of hot water system that uses natural gas to quickly heat water on demand. It is designed to provide hot water whenever needed, without the need for a storage tank.

How does gas simple instant hot water work?

The system works by heating cold water as it flows through a heat exchanger, which is activated by a gas burner. The heated water then flows out of the system and into the designated hot water outlet, such as a faucet or shower.

What are the benefits of using gas simple instant hot water?

There are several benefits to using this type of hot water system. It is energy efficient, as it only heats the amount of water that is needed, saving on utility costs. It also provides hot water on demand, eliminating the need for a storage tank and freeing up space. Additionally, it is more environmentally friendly compared to traditional hot water systems.

Are there any drawbacks to using gas simple instant hot water?

One potential drawback is the initial cost of installation, which can be higher compared to traditional hot water systems. Additionally, if there is a power outage, the system will not work since it requires electricity to ignite the gas burner. However, some models have a backup battery system for these situations.

How does one maintain a gas simple instant hot water system?

Maintenance for this type of system typically involves regular cleaning and servicing of the gas burner and heat exchanger. It is important to also regularly check for any gas leaks and ensure the system is functioning properly. It is recommended to have a professional perform maintenance on the system annually.