1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas Solubility

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    I am so lost as to how I should approach this problem

A soft drink is made by dissolving CO2 @ 3.00 atm in a flavored solution and sealing the solution in an aluminum can @ 20C. What volume of CO2 is released when a 355-ml can is opened to 1.00 atm @ 20C and all the CO2 is allowed to escape?

i have the constant for CO2 @ 20C but from there, i'm confused? S(CO2) = k(CO2 @ 20C) x P(CO2)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the temperature remains the same at the two temperatures, and the solvent as well, the Henry law constant remains the same for the unopened can and the opened one. The relationship you are looking for is:

C1/P1 = C2/P2

where C1 is the concentration of CO2 at 3 atm. (20C), P1 is 3 atm and P2 is 1 atm.

Be careful regarding the units of k, the Henry constant. It should be in units of atm/C, where 'C' is in the same units as C1 and C2.
  4. Jul 22, 2007 #3
    thanks! i was able to do it with a little more thinking.

i had to eventually use the ideal gas law.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?