Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Gas Turbine Aero Design Text

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1

Science Advisor

Hello gas turbine peeps,

I'm going to be starting a new position doing Aero CFD for a power generation gas turbine company. While I have a good amount of theoretical and academic knowledge of CFD in general, my practical application experience is limited.

I was hoping to do a little light reading on aero design of these things in the next few weeks before I show up. I have seen this guy:

but not sure if there are any others that are referred to as "bibles" of the field. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Well, my only thought is that any time a textbook is over $100, it's either pretty good or extremely overrated.

As a guide, if they're not discussing both intercooling and recuperation, they're behind the times. Ideally, a turbine will develop both infinate pressure as well as exit temps equaling inlet temps. Practically, that's just a tad difficult, as things are close to melting during the compressor/combustor stages.

This is of course for jet engines. For steam turbines (you did mention "power generation" did you not?) things are a bit different, unless by "gas turbine" you mean a turbine fueled by natural gas.

As for a "little light reading," you might wish to aquaint yourself with GE's series of power generation gas turines. Their H-series is rather formidible, and enjoys 480 megawatts of supercomputing power (actually power production) which went into its design. More http://gepower.com/prod_serv/products/gas_turbines_cc/en/h_system/index.htm" [Broken].

By the way, this is neither a small nor inexpensive unit. It's output far exceeds that of any jet engine. 480 MW is roughly equivalent to well over half a million horsepower.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook