What are some recommended resources for learning about gas turbine aero design?

In summary, for someone starting a new position in Aero CFD for a power generation gas turbine company, it is recommended to do some light reading on aero design before starting. "Gas Turbine Theory" by Cohen, Rogers, and Saravanamuttoo and "Gas Turbine Engineering Handbook" by Boyce are both highly recommended resources for this field. It is also suggested to look into published papers and online resources for further reading.
minger
Science Advisor
Hello gas turbine peeps,

I'm going to be starting a new position doing Aero CFD for a power generation gas turbine company. While I have a good amount of theoretical and academic knowledge of CFD in general, my practical application experience is limited.

I was hoping to do a little light reading on aero design of these things in the next few weeks before I show up. I have seen this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/013015847X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

but not sure if there are any others that are referred to as "bibles" of the field. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, my only thought is that any time a textbook is over $100, it's either pretty good or extremely overrated.

As a guide, if they're not discussing both intercooling and recuperation, they're behind the times. Ideally, a turbine will develop both infinate pressure as well as exit temps equaling inlet temps. Practically, that's just a tad difficult, as things are close to melting during the compressor/combustor stages.

This is of course for jet engines. For steam turbines (you did mention "power generation" did you not?) things are a bit different, unless by "gas turbine" you mean a turbine fueled by natural gas.

As for a "little light reading," you might wish to aquaint yourself with GE's series of power generation gas turines. Their H-series is rather formidible, and enjoys 480 megawatts of supercomputing power (actually power production) which went into its design. More http://gepower.com/prod_serv/products/gas_turbines_cc/en/h_system/index.htm" [Broken].

By the way, this is neither a small nor inexpensive unit. It's output far exceeds that of any jet engine. 480 MW is roughly equivalent to well over half a million horsepower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there! Congratulations on your new position! I can understand your desire to brush up on your knowledge before starting. "Gas Turbine Theory" by Cohen, Rogers, and Saravanamuttoo is definitely a classic and highly recommended in the field. Another one that is often referred to as a "bible" is "Gas Turbine Engineering Handbook" by Boyce. Both of these books are great resources for aero design of gas turbines. Additionally, if you have access to any online resources or journals, I would recommend checking out published papers on gas turbine design and CFD applications for further reading. Best of luck in your new role!

1. What is the purpose of a gas turbine aero design?

The main purpose of gas turbine aero design is to create an efficient and reliable engine that can convert the energy from combusting fuel into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power various applications such as aircraft, power plants, and industrial machinery.

2. What factors are considered during the design process of a gas turbine engine?

Some of the main factors that are considered during the design process of a gas turbine engine include the desired power output, fuel efficiency, weight and size constraints, operating conditions, and environmental regulations.

3. How does the aerodynamics of a gas turbine engine affect its performance?

The aerodynamics of a gas turbine engine plays a crucial role in its performance, as it impacts the airflow and the efficiency of the engine. Design elements such as the shape and size of the compressor and turbine blades, as well as the overall engine geometry, are carefully considered to optimize the engine's aerodynamic performance.

4. What materials are commonly used in gas turbine aero design?

Gas turbine engines are typically designed using high-strength, heat-resistant materials such as ceramic composites, titanium alloys, and nickel-based superalloys. These materials are able to withstand the high temperatures and stresses that occur within the engine during operation.

5. How is computational fluid dynamics (CFD) used in gas turbine aero design?

CFD is a powerful tool used in gas turbine aero design to simulate and analyze the flow of air and combustion gases within the engine. This allows designers to identify potential issues and optimize the engine's performance before any physical prototypes are built, saving time and resources in the design process.