1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas/Volume Question

1. Jul 31, 2006 #1
    Which one of the following statements best explains why gases are not comercially sold by volume?

a)Gas volume is neligible
    b)Gas volume is difficult to measure
    c)Gas volume depends on the type of gas
    d)Gases have comparitviely low densities
    e)Gas volume depends on temperature and pressure

The question is asking why aren't they sold by volume. Because the volume of a gas could change due to pressure and temperature changes would be my answer. e). I may have just answered my own question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes you have.
  4. Jul 31, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the public knowledge I must say that in compressed air installations engineers usually refer to the air flow in m^3/s. Even though it is a volumetric measure of gas, it is understood by all of us that the volume is referred to Normal conditions (sometimes called Normal-cubic meters per second).
  5. Jul 31, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gas is sold to consumers by volume. That is how the gas meters work. I think they regulate the pressure and adjust for temperature.

6. Aug 1, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's a poor question, but the answer they are looking for is clearly "e". (Another "textbook" problem created by a well-meaning instructor who just doesn't have the practical knowledge.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?