1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gas Volumes

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can I calculate the volume of Methane if I have the pressure, Temperature and the density?, this is required to calculate the number of moles (n) for Methane, which is given by n = total gas weight / molecular weight, I can not get the total gas weight unless I calculate the volume, I am totally stuck, can anyone help?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2
    What kinds of pressures are you talking about? Under most conditions, the ideal gas equation is a pretty good approximation to the truth, what does that state?

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    HI sjb-2812, this is not for an ideal gas so I have to use the Z compressibility factor, I have already calculated Z i.e PV=ZnRT, these are the knowns;
    z=0.81, R=10.73 psia...T=580 Deg P=2195 psia n = ??at reservoir conditions, for standard conditions these are the knowns- Zsc=1.0, R=10.73, Tsc = 520 Deg R, Psc=14.7 psia & n = ??, this is all of the information I have, I am attempting to find the number of moles n (n=volume at reservoir conditions / volume at standard conditions) by finding the gas density and in turn the volume so I can calculate Bg the gas FVF (formation volume factor), I know how to find the gas density, however how do you find the gas volume with this information?, this is where I am stuck, perhaps my reasoning in flawed, I just dont know.....thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook