Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gas Volumes

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can I calculate the volume of Methane if I have the pressure, Temperature and the density?, this is required to calculate the number of moles (n) for Methane, which is given by n = total gas weight / molecular weight, I can not get the total gas weight unless I calculate the volume, I am totally stuck, can anyone help?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2
    What kinds of pressures are you talking about? Under most conditions, the ideal gas equation is a pretty good approximation to the truth, what does that state?

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    HI sjb-2812, this is not for an ideal gas so I have to use the Z compressibility factor, I have already calculated Z i.e PV=ZnRT, these are the knowns;
    z=0.81, R=10.73 psia...T=580 Deg P=2195 psia n = ??at reservoir conditions, for standard conditions these are the knowns- Zsc=1.0, R=10.73, Tsc = 520 Deg R, Psc=14.7 psia & n = ??, this is all of the information I have, I am attempting to find the number of moles n (n=volume at reservoir conditions / volume at standard conditions) by finding the gas density and in turn the volume so I can calculate Bg the gas FVF (formation volume factor), I know how to find the gas density, however how do you find the gas volume with this information?, this is where I am stuck, perhaps my reasoning in flawed, I just dont know.....thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook