Calculating Pressure Change in Gaseous Reaction: CO2 and BaO

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a sample of CO2 in a flask and the addition of BaO resulting in the formation of BaCO3. The question was to calculate the pressure in the flask after the reaction was complete, assuming constant temperature and negligible volume of the solid product. The solution involved finding the number of moles of CO2 and BaO, and then using the reaction equation to determine the amount of CO2 that reacted and the remaining amount.
lucky_star

Homework Statement

A sample of CO2(g) is contained in a 5.00 L flask at 350 K and 3.00 atm pressure. When 30.66 g of BaO(s) was added to the flask, this reaction took place:
BaO(s) + CO2(g) => BaCO3(s)
Calculate the pressure in the the vessel after the reaction was complete. assume that the temperature is constant and the volume of the solid product is neglegible.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried to find the number of moles of CO2
nCO2= PV/RT
nCO2= (3.00atm*5.00L)/ 0.0821*350K
nCO2= 0.522 mol CO2

Then, should I find the number of moles of the BaO?
nBaO= 30.66g/153.3g/mol of BaO =0.20 mol

Now, I stuck, what can I do with all variables that I found? Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the reaction equation - how much CO2 reacted with 0.20 mol of BaO? How much CO2 was left?

Borek said:
Looking at the reaction equation - how much CO2 reacted with 0.20 mol of BaO? How much CO2 was left?

Wow, I got the answer. Thank you so much!

1. What is gaseous pressure?

Gaseous pressure is the force exerted by a gas on the walls of its container. It is caused by the collisions of gas particles with each other and with the walls of the container.

2. How is gaseous pressure calculated?

Gaseous pressure can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is equal to the number of moles of gas multiplied by the gas constant and the temperature, divided by the volume of the container.

3. What units are used to measure gaseous pressure?

Gaseous pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm), although other units such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and pounds per square inch (psi) may also be used.

4. How does temperature affect gaseous pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, gaseous pressure also increases, assuming the volume and number of moles of gas remain constant. This is because higher temperatures cause gas particles to move faster, resulting in more frequent and forceful collisions with the container walls.

5. What factors can affect gaseous pressure in a closed container?

The gaseous pressure in a closed container can be affected by changes in temperature, volume, and the number of gas particles present. Additionally, the type of gas and the strength of the container walls can also impact gaseous pressure.