Why does the electromagnetic field adjust when a charged field changes phase?

• Thread starter thehangedman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gauge
In summary, the electromagnetic field adjusts to make the equations work. This is done to keep the equations form-invariant. However, the physics does not depend on the phase factor.
thehangedman
I have a question regarding gauge invariance. When a charged field changes phase:

y -> e^it * y

The electromagnetic field adjusts to make the equations work:

A_m -> A_m - idt / dx_m

What I don't understand is why, purely from a physics standpoint, this would happen? That is, is there some other reason beyond just making the equations work, the electromagnetic field would adjust? Is this due to the two fields being coupled? If so, what would happen if there are two particles? What if one particle phase shifts by "t" and the other by "k" (t != k)?

Physics news on Phys.org
thehangedman said:
...The electromagnetic field adjusts to make the equations work:

A_m -> A_m - idt / dx_m
No, they add this to A_m in order to compensate the equation change, to keep it form-invariant. Of course, one can safely let the former A_m. The physics does not depend on the phase factor.

On the other hand, it shows the "gauge" liberty in choosing A_m. Usually it is namely A_m which is chosen (=fixing a gauge) rather than the phase factor.

I'm sorry for misspeaking. I know the equations "work" without it. What you are suggesting is that in essence, the shift done to the electromagnetic field is done to keep the equations easy to work with. You could leave them there, but then your equations get messy. Having the extra phase term is a pain, so adjusting A to remove it makes life easier. I was under the impression there was more than just a mathematics reason for keeping the equations phase invariant. Is that not correct?

There is no other reasons.

I will tell you that I think of all this. You may choose any variable changes for solving your problem. They are not obliged at all to preserve the original equation form. The only requirement is to be non-singular (reversible).

Last edited:

1. What is gauge invariance?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in physics which states that the physical laws and equations describing a system should be independent of the choice of gauge or coordinate system used to describe it.

2. Why is gauge invariance important?

Gauge invariance is important because it allows us to describe physical systems and phenomena in a way that is independent of our choice of coordinates or reference frame. This makes it easier to compare and analyze different systems and allows us to make predictions and calculations that are consistent and universally applicable.

3. How is gauge invariance related to symmetry?

Gauge invariance is closely related to symmetry because a gauge transformation is essentially a change in the symmetry of a system. By imposing gauge invariance, we are ensuring that the physical laws governing a system are consistent with its symmetries.

4. What are some examples of gauge invariance in physics?

One of the most well-known examples of gauge invariance is in the theory of electromagnetism, where the laws of electromagnetism are described by Maxwell's equations and are invariant under a gauge transformation. Other examples include the gauge invariance of the strong and weak nuclear forces in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. How is gauge invariance tested or verified?

Gauge invariance can be tested and verified through experiments and observations that confirm the predictions made by gauge-invariant theories. For example, experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have confirmed the gauge invariance of the Standard Model of particle physics. Additionally, theoretical consistency and mathematical proofs can also be used to verify the gauge invariance of a particular theory or system.