1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge pressure/flow velocity

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water at a gauge pressure of 3.8 atm at street level flows into an office building at a speed of 0.80 m/s through a pipe 5.4 cm in diameter. The pipe tapers down to 2.6 cm in diameter by the top floor, 20 m above (see figure here http://www.uploadgeek.com/share-85DD_49B54943.html [Broken]). Assume no branch pipes and ignore viscosity.
    A). Calculate the flow velocity in the pipe on the top floor.
    I have this, its 3.450887574 m/s

B).Calculate the gauge pressure in the pipe on the top floor.
    *****Figured it out, I wasn't tracking units.*****

2. Relevant equations
    I have been trying to use Bernoulli's equation. P1+(.5 pv12)+(pgy1) = P2+(.5 pv22)+(pgy2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far solving for P2 in Bernoulli's equation and dividing by 101300(pa/atm). I have come up with 1.990429541 atm. for my answer. Unfortunately this is wrong, help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

So far solving for P2 in Bernoulli's equation and dividing by 101300(pa/atm). I have come up with 1.990429541 atm. for my answer. Unfortunately this is wrong, help would be greatly appreciate

Show your calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook