1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge Pressure of garden hose

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    [SOLVED] Gauge Pressure

A garden hose is attached to a water faucet on one end and a spray nozzle on the other end. The water faucet is turned on, but the nozzle is turned off so that no water flows through the hose. The hose lies horizontally on the ground, and a stream of water sprays vertically out of a small leak to a height of 0.68 m. What is the gauge pressure inside the hose? (Gauge pressure is the amount by which the pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure.)

how would I find this??

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is its kinetic energy per unit mass when the water is leaving the hose if it rises .68 m? What is the relationship between pressure difference and velocity of a fluid passing from a region of low (no) speed to higher speed? (Look up Bernouilli's equation).

AM

4. May 17, 2006 #3
    P + (1/2)pv^2 + pgh
    p=density of air=1.29 kg/m^3
    h=.68m
    how do I find P and velocity?

5. May 17, 2006 #4
    p=denisty of water = 1.00*10^3 kg/m^3

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    nevermind, i got it P=pgh + Patm

7. May 18, 2006 #6
    No, you didn't (I mean not fully). Just read how you defined gauge pressure.

8. Sep 14, 2007 #7
    I have to do this question too.

How do I find the velocity w/o knowing the time?

9. Sep 14, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If one knows or calculates the kinetic energy or mass flow rate (and density and cross-sectional area) or volumetric flowrate and cross-sectional area, the velocity can be calculated.

Or experimentally, use an anemometer (either UT or laser)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?