Weight = Pressure * Total Area

In summary, the gauge pressure in each of the four tires of an automobile is 240 kPa. Using the formula pressure = total mass / total area, we can estimate the mass of the car by dividing the total pressure by the total area of the four tires.
#H34N1
The gauge pressure in each of the four tires of an automobile is 240 kPa. If each tire has a "footprint" of 220 cm2, estimate the mass of the car.

@Mods: please move if this is too easy for this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

#H34N1 said:
The gauge pressure in each of the four tires of an automobile is 240 kPa. If each tire has a "footprint" of 220 cm2, estimate the mass of the car.

@Mods: please move if this is too easy for this forum.

Hi #H34N1! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help you! (same for your other thread, of course) :smile:

[hide=My work]Pressure = F/A.

There are four tires and four footprints so the total pressure of all four tires is 240*4+101.3 = 1061.3.

I am not sure if I need to add the atmospheric pressure to the gauge pressure. There could be reasons for both. Adding atmospheric pressure is correct because it is the pressure against which the tire is inflated. On the other hand, the atmospheric pressure also adds to the mass of the car so I am not sure how to proceed here.

The total area is 220*4 = 880cm^2. We now have to convert to m^2 because the initial footprint is given in terms of cm^2 and the pressure is given in kPa. $=0.088$.F = mg, so we have

1061.3 = mg/0.088

Solving for m, we have m=9.53004082 kg, which does not seem right.

You can not add pressure in this case.

pixel01 said:
You can not add pressure in this case.

Hi H34N1! :smile:

Yes, pixel01 is right:

pressure = total mass / total area.

You must only use the pressure once! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
You must only use the pressure once! :smile:

hmm … on second thoughts, although that statement is correct, it only works because all the tyres have the same pressure (which they need not), and so in the general case you should consider each tyre separately.

The amount of weight supported by each tyre (equal to the reaction force on that tyre from the ground) divided by the contact area for that tyre equals the pressure for that tyre:

W1 = P1A1 etc

In this case, the Ps are all the same.

So total weight = W1 + W2 + W3 + W4 = P(A1 + A2 + A3 + A4) :smile:

What is gauge pressure in tires?

Gauge pressure in tires refers to the pressure of air inside a tire relative to atmospheric pressure. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) and is an important factor in maintaining proper tire inflation and overall vehicle performance.

Why is gauge pressure in tires important?

Proper tire pressure is essential for safe and efficient driving. Gauge pressure in tires affects handling, fuel efficiency, and tire wear. Overinflated tires can lead to decreased traction and uneven wear, while underinflated tires can cause poor fuel economy and increased risk of blowouts.

How do I check gauge pressure in my tires?

You can check gauge pressure in your tires using a tire pressure gauge, which can be purchased at most auto supply stores. Simply unscrew the cap on your tire's air valve, press the gauge onto the valve, and read the pressure measurement on the gauge.

What is the recommended gauge pressure for my tires?

The recommended gauge pressure for your tires can typically be found on a sticker inside your driver's side door jamb or in your vehicle's owner's manual. It may also be listed on the sidewall of your tire. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for optimal tire performance.

How often should I check the gauge pressure in my tires?

It is recommended to check the gauge pressure in your tires at least once a month and before any long road trips. Changes in temperature and driving habits can affect tire pressure, so it is important to regularly monitor and adjust as needed.