Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge theory of ISO(3) group

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to build a gauge theory with a local ISO(3) symmetry (say a Yang-Mills theory)? By ISO(3) I mean the group composed by three-dimensional rotations and translations, i.e. if ##\phi^I## are three scalars, I'm looking for a symmetry under:
    $$
    \phi^I\to O^{IJ}\phi^J,
    $$
    with ##O^{IJ}\in SO(3)## and under:
    $$
    \phi^I\to\phi^I+a^I.
    $$

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This group is not compact due to the translations. Usually this leads to problems with ghosts.

4. Apr 11, 2015 #3
    I don't want to quantize the theory. I'm just looking for a Lagrangian for classical fields invariant under local ISO(3). Is this still pathological?

5. Apr 11, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think the translation makes it pathological... Take for example the mass term:
    [itex] m^2 \phi^2 \rightarrow m^2 (\phi^2 + 2 a \phi + a^2) [/itex]
    Maybe you can drop the third term off your Lagrangian, but the second term doesn't seem right... and I don't think there is a way to get rid of it.
    If the field is massless, then the kinetic terms work fine with the translations and a term like
    [itex] |\partial \phi|^2[/itex] seems fine, as long as [itex]a^I \ne a^I(x)[/itex].
    If it's local, then it's pretty similar to a local U(1).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. Apr 11, 2015 #5
    Yes, I'm talking about a Lagrangian that only depends on derivative of the fields in the form ##\mathcal{L}(|D_\mu\phi|^2)##, where the covariant derivative must be found by imposing the right transformation rules under an ISO(3) gauge transformation. In particular, I'm writing an infinitesimal transformation as ##U=1+i\alpha^ap^a+i\beta^aJ^a##, with ##p^a## and ##J^a## being the generators of the shifts and rotations. Do you think this is possible?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook