1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge theory

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    Greetings,
    I am intending on learning bosonic string theory in self study before new years eve and I nead a ruff and short introduction on the basics and the idea of gauge theory. The introducton is preferably in PDF form, yet books are fine to.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2
    To get an introduction to string theory, your best bet is to get the book by Barton Zwiebach: A First Course in String Theory. Chapters 1 - 7 will really get you up to speed with bosonic strings. Also there is some stuff about gauge transformations in this book, but if you want more about gauge theory then there's probably more specific books out there.

How fast you get through the chapters depends on your background knowledge of course. But you should do fine, it starts off pretty straight-forward, plus you got pleeeeeeenty of time before new year's eve.

Take my advice: get through chapters 1-7 of that book, then take a look at other texts. Anyone would recommend this book. No others like it :)

Hope that helps!

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

One of the best intros to gauge theories ever written is the review by Ben Lee and Abers:

Abers, E. S., Lee, B. W.: Gauge Theories, Phys. Rept. 9, 1–141, 1973
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0370-1573(73)90027-6 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Oct 24, 2014 #4
    Thanks Dixanadu. That is lots of help! A like is yours. Can you recommend any online lectures to?

Thanks vanhees71! A like is yours. Can you recommend any lectures? Anyway thanks lots this has helped me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Oct 24, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A very good textbook is

Taylor, J. C.: Gauge Theories of Weak Interactions, Cambridge University Press, 1976

and of course Weinberg's books on the "Quantum Theory of Fields", here particularly Vol. II.

7. Oct 24, 2014 #6
    Do you know any books on conformal field theory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted