1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gause's Struggle for Existence

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    1. What are the limits in population density achieved by each of the species when grown independently and when combined with another species?

This is looking at Gause's struggle to existence on paramecium species (bursaria, caudatum, and aurelia). I believe that the answer to this question is based on density-dependent and density-independent factors. I.e. limiting factor, predation, etc.

Am I right? Or does it represent the carrying capacity of each species given by a chart?

2. Research the food requirements for each of these paramecium species. Are there any differences among these species that might enable one species to acquire food more effectively?

I'm not sure what this question is asking and where i can find this information. I tried researching the types of food they eat but sources such as wikipedia gives general information.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?