1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss and E-Field

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Gauss and E-Field

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

My main problem with this problem is finding the electric field at Point 2 (P2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I derived the electric field using Gauss's Law for a cylindrical charge distribution.
    [tex]E (2\pi rL ) = \rho(\pi r^2 L) / \varepsilon_0[/tex]
    [tex]E = \frac{\rho * r}{2\varepsilon_0}[/tex]
    So I found E at P1 to be 0 V/m

Now onto finding E at P2, according to my equation, it would seem that E is 0, since the radial distance is 0, however that seems strange to me, if the point is at the surface of the charged volume cylinder, wouldn't there be some charge, I know it's not a conductor but still I would think that there would be some charge?

And since I've got it all out here, is the E field at P3 just the integral [3/2L, L/2] of a charged disk?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    The gausses law wont help you much here.
    Try working with Ex = k*q*x/r^3.

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your reply,

I can't use Gauss's Law for finding any of the points? I know usually the cylinder is an infinite length if you want to find E, but even for Point 1 I can't use it?

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    Basically not in or outside finite length cylinder the tangential forces will cancel only at the midpoints. Try finding E on axis of a charged disc first.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. Feb 23, 2008 #5
    Ok so I've got the equation for a charged disk
    [tex]2\pi k \rho (1 - \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2} ) }[/tex] how do I integrate that over the length (L) to get the electric field of the cylinder?

Would I say that dE = [tex]2\pi k \rho (1 - \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2} ) }[/tex] and then integrate dE from 0 to L or do I need to differentiate Edisk before I do that?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  7. Feb 25, 2008 #6
    Just integrate it form 0 to L, since ddQ = 2*pi*rho*a*da*dx and u integrated it along a then your equation should still contain dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?