Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss-Bonnet term

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    hi all,o:)
    anybody please give me a physical explanation for the Gauss-Bonnet invariant...
    What is its significance in cosmology??does it contribute to the late time acceleration of the universe??
    is it possible to find the variation of Gauss-bonnet term with respect to any given metric?if so, how??

-Anuradha

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Haelfix

Science Advisor

The Gauss-Bonnet term is defined to be a combination/contraction of various quadratic pieces of the renormalized Einstein Hilbert action.

Its something like G = R^2 - Ruv Ruv (one of those terms has all upper indices, the other all lower) + Ruvcd Ruvcd (same thing) where I have missed some constant factors here and there.

Anyway, you can look it up. The important thing is that its a topological invariant, so is nonrenormalized to all orders of perturbation theory. Being a topological invariant, it is also linked to the Euler characteristic of the manifold in question.

Now, it doesn't affect the field equations b/c it only contributes a surface term, which can be elimininated, however it still changes the dynamics b/c of the way it can couple to other terms (if so included).

Why is it important? Well, apart from making calculations easier in regular Einstein-Hilbert gravity, there is reason to believe that in modifications to GR it could play an important role. For instance Gauss-Bonnet gravity (one such modification that is a hot topic these days in gravity research) has a host of nice phenomenological and cosmological properties.

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    I've been doing calculations but not all terms are surface terms(maybe im wrong) Has anyone do it?
    I need to check this thing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook