How do I use Gauss-Jordan Elimination to solve a system of linear equations?

• Thread starter Random-Hero-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elimination
In summary, Gauss-Jordan Elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations by using row operations on a matrix to reduce it to its row-echelon form and then using back substitution to find the values of the variables. It is useful for its efficiency and systematic approach, as well as its ability to solve other problems in linear algebra. The steps involved include representing the system of equations as a matrix, reducing it to row-echelon form, using back substitution, and checking the solution. However, there are limitations to using this method, such as only being applicable to linear equations and potentially becoming computationally intensive for larger matrices. It differs from other methods by eliminating the need for back substitution and making it more efficient for solving systems
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

How would I solve this using Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

x - 2y + 3z = 0
x + y - z = 4
2x - 4y + 6z = 5

which I think becomes:

1 -2 3 | 0
1 -1 -1 | 4
2 -4 6 | 5

But I'm confused as to the process to achieve the answer. :S

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a mistake in the middle row. It should be 1 1 -1 4. As for solving the system, I assume that you have a book that describes the method of Gauss-Jordan elimination (if not, Wikipedia has an article, as always). It's straight-foward and mechanical, no tricks.

What is Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

Gauss-Jordan Elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves using row operations on a matrix to reduce it to its row-echelon form, and then using back substitution to find the values of the variables.

Why is Gauss-Jordan Elimination useful?

Gauss-Jordan Elimination is useful because it is an efficient and systematic way to solve systems of linear equations. It can also be used to find the inverse of a matrix and to solve other types of problems in linear algebra.

What are the steps involved in Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

The steps for Gauss-Jordan Elimination are as follows: 1) Represent the system of equations as a matrix, 2) Use row operations to reduce the matrix to its row-echelon form, 3) Use back substitution to find the values of the variables, and 4) Check the solution by substituting the values into the original equations.

Are there any limitations to using Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Gauss-Jordan Elimination. It can only be used for systems of linear equations, and it may become computationally intensive for larger matrices. Additionally, it may not work for matrices with zero determinants or infinite solutions.

How is Gauss-Jordan Elimination different from other methods for solving systems of linear equations?

Gauss-Jordan Elimination differs from other methods, such as Gaussian Elimination, in that it eliminates the need for back substitution by reducing the matrix to its row-echelon form. This makes it more efficient and straightforward for solving systems of equations with multiple variables.