1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law Again

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.)Two large metal plates of area [tex]1.0m^2[/tex] face each other. They are 5 cm apart and have equal but opposite charges on their inner surfaces. If the magnitude E of the electric field between the plates is 55N/C, what is the magnitude of the charge on each plate?Neglect edge effects

2.)A non conducting sphere has a uniform volume charge density [tex]\rho[/tex]. Let r be the vector from the center of the sphere to a general point P within the sphere. Show that the electric field at P is given by [tex]E=\rho r/3\epsilon_0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]E=\sigma/2\epsilon_0=\frac{4.868x10^{-10}C/m^2}{2(8.85x10^{-12}F/m} = 27.5N/C[/tex]

Im guessing that I did this wrong, it seemed too easy.

2.)I dont know how to start this one.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2007 #2
    For the second problem, just use Gauss's law.

\int_S \vec{E} \cdot \, \vec{dA} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}

The important thing is to be careful in selecting your surfaces. Here's a suggestion -- use a Gaussian surface that is a spherical shell concentric with the sphere itself.

So the left side simplifies essentially to EA, where A is just [itex]4\pi r^2[/itex], where A is the surface area of our Gaussian surface (r < R).

Now, how do you find q? That is, how do you find the charge enclosed by our Gaussian surface? (I'll leave this part to you.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?