How Does Gauss' Law Apply to a Spherical Conducting Shell with a Central Charge?

In summary: What is the net charge?In summary, a point charge q=−5.0×10−12 C is placed at the center of a spherical conducting shell of inner radius 3.5cm and outer radius 4.0 cm. The electric field just above the surface of the conductor is 8.0 N/C directed radially outward. To find the charge density on the inner surface of the shell, the value of E*r^2/K should be integrated from 0 to 3.5 cm. Similarly, to find the charge density on the outer surface, the same equation should be integrated from 3.5 to 4.0 cm. The net charge on the conductor can be determined by using Gauss's
Ignitia

Homework Statement

A point charge q=−5.0×10−12 C is placed at the center of a spherical conducting shell of inner radius 3.5cm and outer radius 4.0 cm. The electric field just above the surface of the conductor is directed radially outward and has magnitude 8.0 N/C. (a) What is the charge density on the inner surface of the shell? (b)What is the charge density on the outer surface of the shell? (c) What is the net charge on the conductor?

Homework Equations

E=K (Q/r2)

K: Coloumb's Constant, so

(E*r2)/K = Q

with Q being the derivative of the enclosed q=−5.0×10−12 C

and

σ= Q/S

With S = ∫ 4πr2dr

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So if I plug in the values accordingly, I should get:

a) r = 3.5
σ= Q/S
σ= ((E*r2)/K)/∫ 4πr2dr (integrate from 0 to 3.5)

b) r = 4.5
σ= Q/S
σ= ((E*r2)/K)/∫ 4πr2dr (integrate from 3.5 to 4.5)

c) Should just be the same as q=−5.0×10−12 C

Before I plug this into a calculator and get the value, is this correct?

Edit: The integrate sign isn't showing up, so the little circle is actually that.

Physics news on Phys.org
No need for any (non-trivial) integration. Start here: Imagine a Gaussian surface just outside the conducting sphere. What total charge must it contain?

Well, if E=8.0 N/C then it's

|E*dA
E * |dA
E*A = 8.0*4πr^2 (with a sphere Gaussian surface)

I am still confused, however.

Hold on, I think I got it. Treat the surfaces of the conductors as Gaussian Spheres, with respect to the r and given charges? Is that it?

A) q=−5.0×10−12 C is the charge to the surface so its just q/(4*pi*r^2) with r=3.5
B) E=8.0N/C so plug that into E=K q/r^2 to get the second q, and then q/(4*pi*r^2) with r=4.5

So how do you get C?

Edit: Actually, net charge would be 0 on the conductor, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Ignitia said:
No.

Once again, start here: You have the field just outside the sphere, thus at r = 4.0 cm. Use Gauss' law for a spherical surface of that radius to find the total charge contained within. Once you have the total charge, you can figure out what must be the charge on the conducting sphere, and then how that charge is distributed on the inner and outer surfaces.

Ignitia said:
Hold on, I think I got it. Treat the surfaces of the conductors as Gaussian Spheres, with respect to the r and given charges? Is that it?

A) q=−5.0×10−12 C is the charge to the surface so its just q/(4*pi*r^2) with r=3.5
B) E=8.0N/C so plug that into E=K q/r^2 to get the second q, and then q/(4*pi*r^2) with r=4.5

So how do you get C?

I don't see Gauss's Law stated anywhere in this thread. (Did I overlook it? I'm fairly old.)

For A) Be careful of units. r = 3.5cm, not 3.5m .

For B) Use Gauss's Law directly to simplify the calculation. (B.T.W.) OP states that r = 4.0cm, not 4.5cm.
... but what you have is otherwise correct. - - - Maybe call this charge Q, or QTotal or ..., but something other than q.​

What is this "C" you refer to?

And:
Don't assume the net charge is zero.

1. What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to conductors?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charge and electric flux. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the electric charge enclosed by that surface. This law is particularly useful when studying conductors, as it can be used to determine the electric field inside a conductor based on the charge distribution on its surface.

2. How does the electric field inside a conductor differ from that of an insulator?

In an insulator, charges are fixed in place and cannot move freely. This means that the electric field inside an insulator is non-zero and varies depending on the charge distribution. In contrast, in a conductor, charges are free to move and will redistribute themselves until the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This results in a constant electric field of zero throughout the entire conductor.

3. Can Gauss' Law be used to determine the charge distribution on a conductor's surface?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to determine the charge distribution on a conductor's surface. By using a Gaussian surface that encloses the entire conductor, the total charge enclosed can be calculated. This charge is then distributed evenly on the surface of the conductor, resulting in a zero electric field inside.

4. How does the shape of a conductor affect the electric field inside?

The shape of a conductor can affect the electric field inside by changing the charge distribution on its surface. For example, a spherical conductor will have a uniform charge distribution, resulting in a uniform electric field inside. However, a non-spherical conductor may have a non-uniform charge distribution, resulting in a non-uniform electric field inside.

5. Can Gauss' Law be applied to non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to non-uniform charge distributions by using a Gaussian surface that encloses only a portion of the charge distribution. The electric flux through this surface can then be calculated and used to determine the electric field at a specific point within the charge distribution.