1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law Cube w/ 3D vector?

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    I have a cube with sides l and therfore a total volume of l^3. The E-field is ax + by + cz where a, b, and c are known constants. It says to find the total E-field. The answer is (a + b + c)*l^3. I have no idea how they get this. I tried summing up all of the sides separately bit I kept getting zero. I understand why it is zero and do not understand the answer in the book. How do you do it? Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The direction of the electric field is very important. What is that direction?

I thought you knew what the E-field is. What does "it" really say you should find?

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Sorry my mistake. It says to find the total flux through the cube. The direction of the E-field is simply the function i gave you with positive x, y, and z axes.

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The function you posted appears to be a scalar function with no direction attached to it.

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Oh, so it has component a is the x direction, component b in the y direction, and component c in the z direction? If that's the case, then I agree, total flux has to be zero.

7. Feb 14, 2010 #6
    ax (positive x) + by (positive y) + cz (positive z)
    apex is at (0,0,0)
    another apex at (L,0,0) & (0,L,0) & (0,0,L) etc.

8. Feb 14, 2010 #7

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Now we're getting somewhere. Try calculating the flux in each direction (x,y,z), then adding them together vectorially to get the answer.

9. Feb 14, 2010 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you mean

[tex]\vec{E}=ax\hat{x}+by\hat{y}+cz\hat{z}[/tex]

As ideasrule said, calculate the flux through each face separately, remembering that the normal to the surface is always outward.

10. Feb 14, 2010 #9
    And that's when I get zero

11. Feb 15, 2010 #10

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show exactly how you get zero? Consider the two faces at x = +l and x = -l.

12. Feb 15, 2010 #11
    sorry the corner is at the origin. I got it. I wasn't plugging in the coordinates once I integrated. Three of the sides have a flux of zero b/c they lie on some line. Thanks for the help and sorry for being so confusing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook