Gauss' law cubes, how to prove

In summary, the problem asks for the flux through one side of a cube that has a point charge (Q) at its center, it seems intuitive that it would be 1/6 of the charge but how would one show this? The answer is by using symmetry. If you place the point charge at the center of the cube, then each side of the cube has the same amount of flux through it.
HelpMeh
So I was doing some practice problems and one of them asked for the flux through one side of a cube that has a point charge(Q) at its center, it seems intuitive that it would be 1/6 of the charge but how would i show this?

if I do

∫E dA → E∫dA
the surface area of a cube is 6L2 so i would get

E*6L2=Q/ε0

then?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
HelpMeh said:
∫E dA → E∫dA

You can't do that because (a) different points on the surface of the cube are at different distances from the center, so the magnitude of E isn't constant; (b) the direction of E is different at different points on the surface so you have to take that into account:

[tex]\vec E \cdot d \vec A = E dA \cos \theta[/tex]

Ok so one of the problems says its Q/6e0

how did they arrive at this?

HelpMeh said:
Ok so one of the problems says its Q/6e0

how did they arrive at this?

By symmetry. The electric field from a point charge is spherically symmetric and being placed at the center of the box we deduce that each side of the cube must have the same amount of flux through it. Now we know from Gauss' Law that the total flux over the surface of the cube will be proportional to the total charge enclosed, so the flux through one side of the cube is 1/6th of this.

jtbell said:
[tex]\vec E \cdot d \vec A = E dA \cos \theta[/tex]

What would the cosθ be in terms of x,y and/or z? I am trying to do a proof of this that shows the result of Q/ε for the whole cube. On my first run through I did not account for the spherical distribution of the e-field and I was on the way to get a value of 0. I figured cosθ need to be included but it seems that this will only account for one dimension on the face of the cube. For example if I said that

cosθ=[itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+z^{2}}}[/itex]

How would this correspond to the whole face of the cube or is that taken care of by dA. If so dose it even matter if I define cosθ with x,z or x,y?

Edit: Just to be clear I'm using the example of the face of the cube on the positive x-axis and that a charge q is located at the origin at the center of the cube. The cube is the Gaussian surface.

Last edited:
The \theta he is using is the angle between the electric field and the plane of the box's surface that it is intersecting. Its dependence on the Cartesian coordinates will differ for each of the 6 sides of the box.

But this is immaterial. This is a basic undergraduate problem that even I came across when I did my undergrad. You are supposed to solve it via the symmetry argument that I put forth earlier. Doing it explicitly mathematically would be very complicated. But perhaps it may be easier to figure out how to parameterize the integration so that you can do it in spherical coordinates.

Here is the question statement:
Construct a Gaussian surface S that consists of a cube of side 2, centered at the origin.
Calculate [itex]\oint E\bullet d\vec{a}[/itex] for the point charge, using this surface, thus verifying (or not?) Gauss’ Law.

So I don't think that the symmetry argument will be sufficient. Do you agree?

Last edited:

What is Gauss' law and how does it relate to cubes?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface. This law can be applied to cubes by considering the electric field at each face of the cube and calculating the total flux through the cube.

How can Gauss' law be used to prove properties of cubes?

Gauss' law can be used to prove properties of cubes by considering the symmetry of the cube and the electric field at each face. By applying Gauss' law, we can calculate the electric flux through each face and use this information to prove various properties, such as the relationship between the electric field and the charge distribution inside the cube.

What are the necessary conditions for applying Gauss' law to cubes?

In order to apply Gauss' law to cubes, the cube must have a uniform charge distribution and the electric field must be constant and perpendicular to each face of the cube. Additionally, the cube must be a closed surface, meaning there are no gaps or holes in the cube.

Can Gauss' law be used to prove properties of non-uniformly charged cubes?

Yes, Gauss' law can still be applied to non-uniformly charged cubes, but it may require more complex calculations. In these cases, the electric field at each face may not be constant, so the flux through each face must be calculated separately and then summed to find the total flux through the cube. This can be a more challenging problem, but Gauss' law can still be used to prove properties of these cubes.

Are there any practical applications of Gauss' law for cubes?

Yes, Gauss' law has many practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the capacitance of a cube-shaped capacitor or to analyze the electric field inside a cube-shaped container holding a charge. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic devices and circuits.