Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath

In summary, the problem involves a non-conducting, infinitely long, cylindrical sheath with inner radius r=10 m and outer radius r=15 m. It has a uniform charge density of 9 nC/m^3 spread throughout the sheath. The task is to find the magnitude of the electric field at r=5, r=12, and r=17. Using the equations phi=Q/epsilon_0 and Q=rho(Volume), we can calculate the electric field at each radius by finding the volume of the sheath enclosed in each case. For r=5, the electric field is 0. For r=12, we use the volume of the sheath from r=10 to 12
abcdmichelle

Homework Statement

A non-conducting, infinitely long, cylindrical sheath has inner radius r=10 m, outer radius r=15 m and a uniform charge density of 9 nC/m^3 spread throughout the sheath. Magnitude of electric field at r=5, r=12, r=17?

Homework Equations

Q=rho(Volume) and phi=EA therefore phi=E(2pi(R)length)
phi=Q/epsilon_0

The Attempt at a Solution

At r=5, Electric field=0
At r=12, phi=Q/epsilon_0, so E(2pi(R)length)=Q/epsilon_0
I just don't know what Q will be.
The same for r=17, I don't know how to find Q.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the charge density. Figure out the volume of sheath enclosed in each case.

Thank you Doc Al!

So for r=17, if R is the outer radius of the sheath, then
Q=rho(length)piR^2, so E=(rho(length)piR^2)/(2pi(length)r(epsilon_o), thus
E=(rhoR^2)/(2r(epsilon_o))
is that correct, where i would use r=17 and R=15??
I still don't know how I would figure out E for r=12, the area IN the sheath.

Please help! :)

abcdmichelle said:
Thank you Doc Al!

So for r=17, if R is the outer radius of the sheath, then
Q=rho(length)piR^2, so E=(rho(length)piR^2)/(2pi(length)r(epsilon_o), thus
E=(rhoR^2)/(2r(epsilon_o))
is that correct, where i would use r=17 and R=15??
I still don't know how I would figure out E for r=12, the area IN the sheath.

Please help! :)
The sheath only starts at r = 10m and extends to r = 15m. So to find the charge contained in a Gaussian surface with radius 12m, you need the volume of the sheath from r = 10 to 12 m. Similarly, for r = 17 you'd use the entire sheath, so from r = 10 to 15 m.

Hint: To find the volume between r1 and r2, find the volume of each full cylinder and subtract.

Thank you very very much Doc Al! This makes so much sense!

What is Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath?

Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between electric charges and the electric field they create. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath applied?

Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath is applied in situations where there is cylindrical symmetry, such as a long, charged wire. It allows us to easily calculate the electric field at any point outside of the cylindrical surface by simply knowing the total charge enclosed by that surface.

What is a cylindrical sheath?

A cylindrical sheath is a closed surface in the shape of a cylinder that encloses a certain amount of electric charge. This can be a physical object or an imaginary surface used in calculations.

What are the assumptions made by Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath?

Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath makes two main assumptions: 1) the electric field is constant along the cylindrical surface, and 2) the electric field is parallel to the surface at all points. These assumptions are only valid for situations with cylindrical symmetry.

Why is Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath important?

Gauss' Law: Cylindrical sheath is important because it allows us to simplify complex calculations involving electric charges and electric fields in situations with cylindrical symmetry. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used in many real-world applications, such as designing electrical circuits and calculating the strength of electric fields around power lines.