How Does Distance Affect Electric Field Calculation Above a Charged Sheet?

In summary, the electric field 1cm above a typical sheet of paper with a surface charge density of sigma = 45 nC/m^2 is given by E = sigma/2*epsilon_0, where epsilon_0 = 8.85*10^-12. Assuming the paper is a charged sheet, the correct formula should be used instead of the general equation. After correcting the exponent, the correct value for the electric field is 25423.728 N/C. It should be noted that the correct units for sigma are nC/m^2, not 10^-8 as previously assumed.
gnarkil

Homework Statement

what is the approx electric field 1cm above a typical sheet of paper with a surface charge density of sigma = 45 nC/m^2?

Homework Equations

electric field E = sigma/epsilon_0 where epsilon_0 = 8.85*10^-12

E = kq/r^2 where k = 9*10^9, r is distance in meters

assume paper is charged sheet, then E = sigma/2*epsilon_0

The Attempt at a Solution

i assumed that 1 cm is so small that the distance is insignificant and could be ignored, i think this is why i got it wrong. anyways...

E = sigma/epsilon_0 = (45*10^-8)/(8.85*10^-12) = 50847 N/C

it is wrong, how do i factor in the distance? should i have used the charged sheet formula instead or the general equation (the first one)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion:
They say "a typical sheet of paper". They may want you to integrate over some typical dimensions (11"x8.5") rather than assume an infinite sheet.
How does the answer compares with your result? (greater, smaller)

that may be the case, but it wouldn't make sense to state a problem with such general guidelines, i don't think the problem involves specific dimensions

The equation for the field of a charged sheet is E= sigma/2*epsilon0. You had the correct equation under "relevant equations" but i think you forgot to multiply epsilon by 2 in your calculations. Also check out section 21.5 in the book (page 358-359) The book states "with an infinite plane, symmetry requires that the field lines be perpendicular to the plane. So they don't spread out, and that means the field desnt vary with distance." which is why the equation doesn't include distance.

scrplyr, i tried what you suggested and it was still incorrect

E = sigma/2*epsilon_0 = (45*10^-8)/((2)(8.85*10^-12)) = 25423.728 N/C

what now?

45 nC/m^2 = 45*10^-9 C/m^2, not 10^-8

thanks, i got it correct, it was the frickin exponent!

What is Gauss Law?

Gauss Law, also known as Gauss's Flux Theorem, is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the enclosed electric charge within a closed surface. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the enclosed electric charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss Law used to calculate the electric field?

Gauss Law can be used to calculate the electric field by using the concept of electric flux. The electric flux through a surface is defined as the total number of electric field lines passing through that surface. By applying Gauss Law, we can calculate the electric field at a point by multiplying the charge enclosed within a closed surface by the permittivity of free space and dividing it by the area of the surface.

What is the significance of Gauss Law in electromagnetism?

Gauss Law is significant in electromagnetism because it allows us to relate the distribution of electric charge to the electric field. It is a powerful tool that simplifies the calculation of electric fields in complex situations and is widely used in the study of electric circuits, electromagnetic waves, and other applications in electromagnetism.

How is Gauss Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss Law is closely related to Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two stationary charged particles. Gauss Law is a generalization of Coulomb's Law, as it applies to any distribution of charges, while Coulomb's Law only applies to point charges. Gauss Law also provides a more efficient method for calculating electric fields in certain situations, such as when there is symmetry in the distribution of charges.

Can Gauss Law be applied to magnetic fields?

Gauss Law is not applicable to magnetic fields, as there are no isolated magnetic charges. Magnetic fields are generated by moving charges and are described by the laws of electromagnetism, including Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law. However, Gauss Law can be extended to include magnetic fields in the form of Gauss's Law for Magnetism, which states that the magnetic flux through any closed surface is always zero.