How Much Charge Does a 3cm Section of a Charged Line Hold?

In summary, the electric field 0.475m from a very long uniform line of charge is 830 N/C. To determine the amount of charge contained in a section of the line of length 3.00cm, Gauss's Law can be applied using a cylinder as the Gaussian surface. This method takes into account the cylindrical symmetry of the line charge and can provide an accurate calculation.
sckeen1988
The electric field 0.475m from a very long uniform line of charge is 830 N/C.

How much charge is contained in a section of the line of length 3.00cm?

My solution:
the Electric field from an infinite plane is

E=σ/(2*ε0), so σ=E*ε0*2=1.47*10^-8

3.00cm=.03m

.03*1.47*10^-8=4.41*10^-10

This answer is showing to be wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized my problem was that my work was for a plane, not a line of charge. I'm not sure how to solve this for a line of charge though

A line charge has a cylindrical symmetry, so apply Gauss's Law using a cylinder as your Gaussian surface.

Thanks for the help, forgot to reply at the time due to my astonishment that I had not thought of that.

, as it is not the same as the given electric field value. It is possible that there was an error in the calculation or the given electric field value is incorrect. Please double check the values and equations used to ensure accurate results. Additionally, it is important to note that Gauss' Law for a plane assumes an infinite plane, so the results may not be accurate for a finite length of the line of charge. Further analysis and calculations may be necessary to accurately determine the charge contained in a specific section of the line.

1. What is Gauss' Law for a plane?

Gauss' Law for a plane is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric flux and the charge enclosed by a plane. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss' Law applied to a plane?

To apply Gauss' Law to a plane, we must first choose a closed surface that intersects the plane at right angles. Then, we calculate the electric flux through this surface by multiplying the electric field strength by the area of the surface. Finally, we equate this electric flux to the charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of Gauss' Law for a plane in electromagnetism?

Gauss' Law for a plane is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields in the presence of charges. It also allows us to calculate the electric field strength at any point in space by knowing the charge distribution on a plane.

4. Can Gauss' Law for a plane be applied to non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss' Law for a plane can be applied to non-uniform charge distributions. In this case, we divide the surface into smaller areas and calculate the electric flux through each area separately. Then, we sum up these individual flux values to find the total electric flux through the surface.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss' Law for a plane?

Gauss' Law for a plane has many practical applications, including the design of capacitors, understanding the behavior of electric fields in parallel plate capacitors, and determining the electric field strength in regions with constant charge density, such as inside a parallel plate capacitor or between two charged parallel plates.