Calculating Electric Flux Through a Square: Is Gauss' Law the Only Method?

In summary, the electric flux through a square is Q / pi epsilon0. However, because the square has symmetry, the flux is Q / 6epsilon0.
stunner5000pt
This is SUPPOSED to be easy but i seemingly find find it hard...

A poin charge of +Q is places a distance d/2 above the centre of a square surface of side d. Find the electric flux through the square.

so i know that

E dA = EA (because the flux through the square is all at 90 degree angles) = kQd^2 / (d/2)^2 = Q / pi epsilon0

But the answer is Q / 6epsilon0

have i got the concept wrong here?

please do help!

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
so i know that

E dA = EA (because the flux through the square is all at 90 degree angles) = kQd^2 / (d/2)^2 = Q / pi epsilon0
The electric field at the surface is not simply kQ/(d/2)^2: the distance to the surface is not just d/2! Furthermore, the electric field is not perpendicular to that surface! (The field from a point charge radiates out from the center.) To calculate the flux directly, you need to find the component of the field perpendicular to the surface and integrate.

But don't do that. Instead, take advantage of symmetry. Hint: Imagine other sides were added forming a cube around the point charge. (It is easy.)

I think i figured something out, if flux is Qenc / permittivity

then the charge +Q in a cube of side d is simply Qenc / permit

But sinc this is a square, the flux is one sixth (since a cbe has six sides) of what a cube is so it is Q / 6permit

am i right??

Why would you think the electric field is everywhere normal to the surface?

Tide said:
Why would you think the electric field is everywhere normal to the surface?

i thought wrong, read my second post, i believe it is more relevant

stunner5000pt said:
I think i figured something out, if flux is Qenc / permittivity

then the charge +Q in a cube of side d is simply Qenc / permit

But sinc this is a square, the flux is one sixth (since a cbe has six sides) of what a cube is so it is Q / 6permit

am i right??
Yes, you are right.

can't we derive it by any other method?

What is Gauss' Law for a point charge?

Gauss' Law for a point charge is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the amount of electric charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point.

How is Gauss' Law for a point charge expressed mathematically?

Gauss' Law for a point charge is expressed as E = Q/(4πε₀r²), where E is the electric field, Q is the charge enclosed, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

What are the key principles of Gauss' Law for a point charge?

The key principles of Gauss' Law for a point charge are that the electric field at a point is proportional to the amount of charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point, and that the electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

Can Gauss' Law for a point charge be applied to any point charge?

Yes, Gauss' Law for a point charge can be applied to any point charge, regardless of its magnitude or location.

How is Gauss' Law for a point charge used in practical applications?

Gauss' Law for a point charge is used in a variety of practical applications, including the calculation of electric fields in circuits, the design of electric motors and generators, and the analysis of electric charge distributions in various systems.