1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss law for cilynder

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    So question :
    We have cored cilynder. Inner radius 10 cm, outer radius 20 cm. In the walls
    of the cilynder uniformed charge 2nK/m^3. Find electric field magnitude at the points from axes 8cm 18cm 28cm.

Sorry for my english.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2
    I think you mean 2 nC/m^3 for the charge density. What attempts have you made in solving this problem. The first case is the easiest.

4. May 17, 2006 #3
    Yes I mean nC/m^3. So For 8cm I think to use that E = <r0>*r\(2*e*0e).
    it is a case then point where we define electric field is inner cilinder.
    But then we have 18cm, then point would be in the cilinder.
    3 case i could use E = <ro> *R^2\(2*e0*e*r), but what should be R - radius od cilynder 20cm.

<ro> is charge density.

5. May 17, 2006 #4
    For the first case, the gaussian cyclinder would enclose no charge at all. Now for the other two, draw similar gaussian cylinders - one within the walls and the thrid outisde the charged cylinder. If you know the general case of evaluating the field of a long cylinder using Gauss' law, it would be a simple exercise to solve the problems.

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    EDIT: Never mind...I was being an idiot!

7. May 17, 2006 #6
    :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?