Calculating q2 and q3 on a Conducting Shell?

In summary, the problem involves a conducting shell with a charge of 64.0681 µC distributed throughout it. By applying Gauss's law and considering a Gaussian surface inside the shell, it can be deduced that q1 = -q2 and q3 = 2*q1.
dragonrider
Consider an insulating sphere with radius of 7 cm. A charge of 13.8561 µC is uniformly distributed throughout this sphere. It is surrounded by a conducting shell. Denote the charge on the inner surface of the shell to be q2 and the charge on the outer surface of the shell to be q3. The total charge q on the shell is of 64.0681 µC.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5829/problem2jy1.th.gif

Find q2 and q3? Answer in units of µC

For this problem I am not sure where to start because I only have one radius.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/14744

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't even need that radius. See what you can deduce by putting Gaussian surfaces in various places and applying Gauss's law. Hint: Take advantage of the fact that it's a conducting shell.

I am not sure what you mean by conducting shell. Because isn't E = -q/(4*π*ε0*r2).

Last edited:
dragonrider said:
I am not sure what you mean by conducting shell.
An electrical conductor--like a metal. Hint: What's the field within a conductor?

Doc Al said:
An electrical conductor--like a metal. Hint: What's the field within a conductor?

I know that the field within a conductor is zero. But I need the charge of the inner an outer surface of the shell.

Use Gauss's law!

Yes if I apply Gauss' Law E = q/(4*π*ε0*r2) but I don't know both E and r. and if I use E = 0 wouldn't that make q2 = 0

dragonrider said:
since the E = 0 inside does q2 = 0?
What does Gauss's law tell you? (Use a Gaussian surface inside the conducting shell, where E = 0.)

dragonrider said:
Yes if I apply Gauss' Law E = q/(4*π*ε0*r2)

I used E = 0 but then q2 = 0.

dragonrider said:
Yes if I apply Gauss' Law E = q/(4*π*ε0*r2) but I don't know both E and r. and if I use E = 0 wouldn't that make q2 = 0
The q in Gauss's law stands for the total charge. (q2 is just the charge on the inside of the shell. You'll use the total charge to determine q2.)

So how do I apply Gauss Law to find q2 and q3 without knowing either E nor r?

P.S.
I know I am asking very basic stuff but I just learned the concept and I haven't fully understand on how to use Gauss Law properly yet.

dragonrider said:
So how do I apply Gauss Law to find q2 and q3 without knowing either E nor r?
But you do know E inside the conducting shell. So what does that tell you about the total charge contained within a Gaussian surface inside that shell? (Hint: q2 is just one of the charges inside that surface. What's the other?)

So the charge contained within the Gaussian surface = q1

dragonrider said:
So the charge contained within the Gaussian surface = q1
Nope. (But that is one of the charges within the Gaussian surface.) Draw a diagram showing where the Gaussian surface goes. The problem only defines three charges: q1, q2, and q3. Which are inside the Gaussian surface? Which are outside?

Inside are q1 and q2. Outside are q3

dragonrider said:
Inside are q1 and q2. Outside are q3
Yes! So what's the total charge inside the surface? What must it equal from Gauss's law?

So [(q1+q2) /(4*π*ε0*r2)] = [q3/(4*π*ε0*r2)]

Does q2 + q3 = 64.0681 µC

dragonrider said:

:confused:

Answer these questions:
(1) What's the total charge within the Gaussian surface in terms of q1, q2, and q3?
(2) What does E equal at all points on the Gaussian surface?
(3) What does Gauss's law tell you about the total charge?
(4) Write a simple equation expressing the above.

q1 = -q2
q3 = 2*q1

I should have said:
dragonrider said:
:confused:
Good. This doesn't follow from Gauss's law, but from the fact that you were given the total charge of the shell.
dragonrider said:
q1 = -q2
Yes! This does follow from Gauss's law, since Qtotal = 0 = q1 + q2.
q3 = 2*q1
Where does this come from?

I got it thank you very much for helping me.

What is Gauss' Law on a Sphere?

Gauss' Law on a Sphere is a mathematical relationship that describes the distribution of electric charge on a spherical surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed charge, and is given by the equation Φ = Q/ε0, where Φ is the electric flux, Q is the enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the significance of Gauss' Law on a Sphere?

Gauss' Law on a Sphere is a fundamental principle in electrostatics, and it allows us to calculate the electric field at any point outside or inside a charged spherical shell. It also helps in determining the amount of charge enclosed within a given surface, given the electric field at any point on that surface.

How is Gauss' Law on a Sphere different from Gauss' Law in general?

Gauss' Law on a Sphere is a special case of Gauss' Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. The difference is that Gauss' Law on a Sphere applies only to spherical surfaces, while Gauss' Law can be applied to any closed surface.

What are the assumptions made in Gauss' Law on a Sphere?

There are a few assumptions made in Gauss' Law on a Sphere, including that the charge distribution on the sphere is symmetrical, the electric field is constant on the surface of the sphere, and the electric field is perpendicular to the surface at all points. These assumptions are necessary for the equation to be accurate.

How is Gauss' Law on a Sphere related to other laws in electromagnetism?

Gauss' Law on a Sphere is closely related to other laws in electromagnetism, such as Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two charged particles. It is also related to Gauss' Law in general, which is a more general form of the equation. Additionally, it is a key component of Maxwell's Equations, which describe the relationships between electric and magnetic fields.