Solve Gauss' Law Problem: Electric Flux Hemisphere

In summary, the problem given is to find the electric flux through a hemisphere with its equation given. The student is unsure of how to approach the problem and is considering using Gauss' law. They mention that there is no charge given, but later clarify that there is an electric field. The student is unsure of how to set up the integral and questions if there would be no electric flux due to the lack of charge.
Rockstar47
Hello, everyone. I hope that you can help me get started on one of the problems I have due this week.

Homework Statement

Find the electric flux through the hemisphere z = (square root of a^2 - x^2 - y^2).

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly certain I need Gauss' law to help solve this. I know that the law is defined by the Electric flux being equal to the integral of E dot dA. I'm a bit confused about where to start plugging and chugging. I also have t note that there is no charge given in the problem. How does this affect things? My initial impression is to just plant my (square root of a^2 - x^2 - y^2) into the integral and due the work for both dx and dy. This would be done assuming that z tells us that our dA is in that direction. Would this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to define the vector E field in order to take the dot product and integrate it, right? Or else if it's a flat E field that enters the equatorial circle of the hemisphere, you can just integrate the 2-D integral over the equatorial disk.

Thanks Berkeman. Yes, I believe I would need to do that, somehow...if I can determine how to set that up into the integral.

But...I have to wonder, since the problem specifically mentions that there is no charge, does that mean that there is no electric flux, either? Would it actually be zero...no charge, no flux?

Edit: There is an Electric field, however (apparently...was added to the problem later).
E = Eknot(1/square root of 2 i hat + 1/square root of 2 k hat).

Last edited:

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the electric charge distribution in a given region.

2. What is the equation for Gauss' Law?

The equation for Gauss' Law is ∮E•dA = Q/ε0, where E is the electric field, dA is the differential surface area, Q is the enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. How do I solve a Gauss' Law problem involving electric flux of a hemisphere?

To solve for the electric flux of a hemisphere, you will need to use the equation ΦE = ∫E•dA = ∫EcosθdA, where E is the electric field and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface normal of the hemisphere.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a Gauss' Law problem involving electric flux of a hemisphere?

Sure, let's say we have a hemisphere with a radius of 2 meters and a uniform electric field of 5 N/C pointing towards the center of the hemisphere. We want to find the electric flux through the hemisphere. Using the equation from question 3, ΦE = ∫EcosθdA, we can solve for the electric flux by first finding the differential surface area, dA = r2sinθdθdφ, and then integrating over the surface of the hemisphere. After solving the integral, we would get ΦE = 20πε0 Nm2/C, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Gauss' Law problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving Gauss' Law problems include not correctly identifying the charge enclosed by the surface, not considering the direction of the electric field, and not correctly setting up the integral for the electric flux. It is also important to remember to use appropriate units and be consistent with vector notation throughout the problem.