Exam Prep: Electric Field - Is It Zero?

In summary, an electric field is a vector field that describes the influence of charged particles on each other, and is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by its magnitude. The electric field is not always zero, and its value depends on the configuration of charged objects. When the electric field is zero, it means there is no net force on a charged particle at that point. To prepare for an exam on electric fields, review basic concepts, equations, and principles, and practice solving problems and studying specific topics highlighted by your instructor.
bluesteels
Homework Statement
Two infinite plane sheets with uniform surface charge densities
+ sigma and - sigma are placed parallel to each other with separation d.
In the region between the sheets, where does the total electric
field have the greatest magnitude?
Relevant Equations
concept Q.
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 9.39.04 PM.png

I'm having an exam soon so i want to make sure. Is the electric field here zero?? cause if i draw gauss surface covering both of them they should cancel out or am i wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked about the field between the sheets. How is drawing a surface enclosing both going to help with that?

What does this structure remind you? I mean two opposite charge sheets (or plates if that rings a bell) and the E-field in between them...

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. It is represented by a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of electric charges. Positive charges create an outward electric field, while negative charges create an inward electric field. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charges and their distance from each other.

3. What is the significance of a zero electric field?

A zero electric field means that there are no electric charges present in that particular region. This could be due to the cancellation of positive and negative charges, or the absence of any charges altogether. A zero electric field is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged particles.

4. How can you determine if an electric field is zero?

To determine if an electric field is zero, you can use Gauss's Law, which states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface. If the net electric flux is zero, then the electric field within that surface is also zero.

5. Why is it important to know if an electric field is zero?

Knowing if an electric field is zero is important in many practical applications, such as in circuit design and understanding the behavior of charged particles. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and how electric fields interact with other fields, such as magnetic fields. Additionally, a zero electric field can indicate the absence of any electrically charged objects, which could be useful in certain situations.