1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss Law Question

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Is it possible to find the mass of the earth based on the earths volume mass density, roe = A-Br=R, where A = 1.42 x 104 kg/m3, B = 1.16 x 104 kg/m3, and Earth’s radius
    R = 6.370 x 106 m

I know that based on Gauss Law that (closed integral) g x da = -4Gmin, where g is the total electric field due to the inside and outside of the closed surface. I don't see how this is possible.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2
    Hi, bananasplit. Could you try to be a little clearer? I think you were trying to write an expression for the density of the Earth, [tex]\rho[/tex], as a function of distance from the center, r, but I can't read your expression. Does it have a spurious equals sign, or a missing / symbol?

If that's the case, then you have to do a volume integral, and I don't see any connection to Gauss's Law. Might you be confusing Gauss's Law with Gauss's Theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook