1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss law question

1. May 23, 2010 #1

Im getting a slightly different answer to the one that is needed for the following question:

2) A positive charge Q is distributed throughout a spherical volume of radius R in vacuum.
    The charge density rho varies with the radius according to the linear law rho = a r. Show that the parameter a is Q/(pi R^4).

I started by saying that I'm looking at the position where r=R, i.e. at the surface itself. At this point the total charge Q must be present. Hence Q= rho x volume = a x r x volume, and as R=r Q= a x R x volume. Therefore Q = a x r x (4/3)pi R^3, which gives an a similar to the one required, but multiplied by 3/4.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2
    Q = rho x volume is only correct if rho is constant throughout the volume, which its not. This is just like distance = speed x time is only true if the speed is constant throughout the time.
  4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    question;Two parallel, uniformly charged, infinitely long wires carry opposite charges with a linear charge density λ = 3.29 μC/m and are 5.35 cm apart. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a point midway between them and 50.3 cm above the plane containing the two wires?

my solution;http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/zmsal2.jpg/

The six faces of a cubical box each measure 23.0 cm by 23.0 cm, and the faces are numbered such that faces 1 and 6 are opposite to each other, as are faces 2 and 5, and faces 3 and 4. The flux through each face is:

Face Flux (N m2/C)
    1 -194
    2 -107
    3 -251
    4 -500
    5 -312
    6 -268
    Find the net charge inside the cube.

my solution:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/zmsal3.jpg/

can you check my solutıon please,ı thınk somethıng ıs wrong about my answers...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook