1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law - Summation

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    Hello,

i'm doing some practice problems using Gauss' law, but I feel like my work is 'sloppy'. I'll show an example, where I think I get the right answer, but it feels like i'm neglecting to treat the summation properly, or perhaps I don;t quite understand why what i'm doing is fine...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circular surface with a radius of [itex]0.072m[/itex] is exposed to a uniform external electric field of magnitude [itex]1.44[/itex]x[itex]10^{4}NC^{-1}[/itex]. The electric flux through the surface is [itex]82 Nm^{2}C^{-1}[/itex]. What is the angle between the direction of the electric field and the normal to the surface?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\Phi_{E} = \Sigma(E \cos \phi) \Delta A[/itex]

[itex]\Sigma \Delta A = \pi r^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\cos \phi = \frac{\Phi_{E}}{E \pi r^{2}} = 0.3497[/itex]

[itex]\phi = \cos^{-1}(0.3497) = 69.5 \deg[/itex]

feel like i've done this correctly, but I also feel like i've just dropped the summation sign without really knowing why. I know I summed up all the little areas to give the area of a circle, but it was also the sum of [itex]E \cos \phi[/itex].

Could some please explain why I don't actually do a summation there?

This may be a bit of a bizarre question...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2
    You've done it correctly. [itex]E [/itex] and [itex] \cos \phi[/itex] are constant over the area because the electric field is uniform, so they can come out of the summation.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted