1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, straight wire has a linear charge density of magnitude 3.6nC/m. The wire is to be enclosed by a thin, no-conducting cylinder of ouside radius 1.5cm, coaxil witht he wire. The cylinder is to have positive charge on its outside surface with a surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] such that the net external electric field is zero. Calculate the required [tex]\sigma[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_0 r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The electric field can be found, but then how do I go about finding the required [tex]\sigma[/tex] value?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2
    Sorry, misread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  4. Mar 19, 2007 #3
    Thats what it sayss....

5. Mar 19, 2007 #4
    The wire has obviously negative charge. Hasn't it?
    Apply Gauss's Law, to a gaussian surface, I recommend you to use another cylinder, and put the condition that:

[tex]\oint E\cdot dS=0[/tex]

6. Mar 19, 2007 #5
    Im still confused

7. Mar 19, 2007 #6
    The total field is zero right? It is due to a superposition of the field from the wire and the field from the cylindrical shell.

8. Mar 19, 2007 #7
    So Do I just find an electric field for the gaussian surface that when summed with the electric field already found wll equal zero?

9. Mar 19, 2007 #8
    not sure what exactly you mean there

10. Mar 19, 2007 #9
    Since the total electrical field is 0, and I can find [tex]E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_0 r}[/tex], cant I just find [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

and then [tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_0 r} = -\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] and then solve for [tex]\sigma[/tex]

Sorry if this make no sense, I dont really understand this stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?