1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss Law

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to find the electric field for a charge distribution of
    $$ \rho(x)= e^{-\kappa \sqrt{x^2}} $$

2. Relevant equations

I know that gauss law is $$ \int E \cdot da = \frac{q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} $$

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure what the charge distribution looks like. Is this saying that there is only charge along the x axis? or is the charge everywhere? I am also no sure what kind of surface I should be integrating over. Should I be integrating over a circle and then finding the total charge enclosed within?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    Is [itex] x [/itex] a vector? If not, assume one dimension. Your surface area will most likely be of a sphere. Also, recall that [itex] q_{enc} [/itex] is the total charge. Can you think of another (more formal) way to write [itex] q_{enc} [/itex]?

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    [itex] x [/itex] appears to be a scalar. Does this mean that the charge only exists along the x axis? Or is it also distributed through the y-z plane? And the [itex] q_{enc} [/itex] can be written as [itex]\int \rho(x)[/itex] I believe. So I should be able to just integrate my charge distribution from [itex] -x [/itex] to [itex] x [/itex] and consider the area a sphere of radius [itex]x[/itex]? That doesn't seem quite right to me for some reason since I have an x symmetry should I be using a cylinder? similar to a line of charge along the x axis?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    Yes, really what we have is a point charge in one dimension, where we only consider the charge density along the x-axis. I suppose a cylinder would be fitting for Gauss's Law. Yes, you are correct about integrating along the x-axis.

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5
    Using a cylinder seems to give me a dependence on both x and y. I feel like there should be a simpler choice of surface, but I cannot seem to think of it. I have also tried a sphere centered at the origin. I am not sure how I would apply a plane.

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6
    Perhaps, we can treat this similar to the case for an infinite wire? Are we finding the E-field at some point say on the y-axis, or some point on the x-axis?

Must we use Gauss's Law?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted