1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss Lemma (Number Theory)

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    Use Gauss Lemma (Number theory) to calculate the Legendre Symbol [tex](\frac{6}{13})[/tex].

I know how to use Gauss Lemma. However we use the book: Ireland and Rosen. They define Gauss Lemma as:

[tex](\frac{a}{p})=(-1)^n[/tex]. They say: Let [tex]\pm m_t[/tex] be the least residue of [tex]ta[/tex], where [tex]m_t[/tex] is positive. As [tex]t[/tex] ranges between 1 and [tex]\frac{(p-1)}{2}[/tex], n is the number of minus signs that occur in this way. I don't understand how to use this form of Gauss's Lemma

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] in this case? What does that make [itex]\frac{(p-1)}{2}[/itex] ? What does that make the least residue of [itex]ta[/itex] in this case?

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    Could you be more specific, I really do not know how to use this version of Gauss's Lemma. Could you show me some steps on how to start it this way?

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want to use the lemma for [itex]\left( \frac{6}{13} \right)[/itex], which means you want an "a" and "p" such that [itex]\left( \frac{a}{p} \right) = \left( \frac{6}{13} \right)[/itex] where "p" is a prime....surely you can think of at least one "a" and one "p" for which this will hold true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?