Understanding the Gauss-Seidel Iteration Method: Exploring the Blue Circled Part

In summary, the conversation is discussing a circled formula and whether the author has ignored a certain part of it. The person asking the question is wondering if they are misunderstanding something or if the author is wrong. The expert clarifies that the summation in the blue frame is empty when i=3, making it a non-starter. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert for their explanation.
fonseh

Homework Statement

Using the circled formula , here's what i gt (photo3) , , why the author ignore the blue circled part ? Is the author wrong ...

If the blue part isn't ignored , i gt this pls refer to the photo 3

which is correct ? The author or me ? Or I'm misunderstanding something ?
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20170219_202610_DRO.jpg
    IMG_20170219_202610_DRO.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20170219_203152.jpg
    IMG_20170219_203152.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20170219_204101.jpg
    IMG_20170219_204101.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can see, you pick ##i = 3## so there is no question of a summation starting with ##j = i + 1 ##

BvU said:
From what I can see, you pick ##i = 3## so there is no question of a summation starting with ##j = i + 1 ##
what do you mean ? Can you explain further ?

I can not. It is a matter of you carefully reading what's printed. Write out the ##i, j, k## of the summations in full. The one in the blue frame is empty when ##i = 3##: it is a non-starter (there is no ##j = 4##).

BvU said:
I can not. It is a matter of you carefully reading what's printed. Write out the ##i, j, k## of the summations in full. The one in the blue frame is empty when ##i = 3##: it is a non-starter (there is no ##j = 4##).
noted, Thanks

You're welcome.

Likes fonseh

What is the Gauss Seidel iteration method?

The Gauss Seidel iteration method is an iterative algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations. It is an improvement over the Jacobi method and is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

How does the Gauss Seidel iteration method work?

The method involves repeatedly updating the values of the variables in the system of equations based on the current estimates, until the desired level of accuracy is achieved. The updated values are calculated using the previous values and the equations in the system.

What are the advantages of using the Gauss Seidel iteration method?

The Gauss Seidel iteration method is faster and more accurate than the Jacobi method, as it uses the most recent estimates to update the variables in each iteration. It also converges to the solution faster for certain types of systems of equations.

What are the limitations of the Gauss Seidel iteration method?

The method may not converge to a solution for certain types of systems of equations, such as those with non-diagonally dominant matrices. It also requires the system of equations to be in a specific form, which may not always be possible to achieve.

How is the convergence of the Gauss Seidel iteration method determined?

The convergence of the method is determined by the spectral radius of the iteration matrix, which is calculated using the coefficients of the equations in the system. If the spectral radius is less than 1, the method will converge to a solution.