1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss Test for Convergence

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just got done proving Gauss' test, which is given in the book as:

If there is an [itex]N\ge 1[/itex], an [itex]s>1[/itex], and an [itex]M>0[/itex] such that
    [tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=1 - \frac{A}{n} + \frac{f(n)}{n^s}[/tex]
    where [itex]|f(n)|\le M[/itex] for all n, then [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if [itex]A>1[/itex] and diverges if [itex]A \le 1[/itex].

This is equivalent to the many other forms I have found on the web. The next question asks to use this test to prove that the series

[tex]\sum_{n=1} ^{\infty} \left( \frac{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot \cdot \cdot (2n-1)}{2 \cdot 4 \cdot 6 \cdot \cdot \cdot (2n)} \right)^k[/tex]

converges if [itex]k>2[/itex] and diverges if [itex]k \le 2[/itex] using Gauss' test.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so much for the preamble. Here's my attempt:

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \left ( \frac {2n+1}{2n+2} \right ) ^ k[/tex]

And that's it... I don't know how to put this into a form which corresponds in general to the form required for Gauss' test. I saw a similar problem online solved with the use of the fact that [itex]\left (\frac{n}{n+1} \right)^k \approx 1 - \frac{k}{n}[/itex] for large n, but the book has not covered anything like that (it introduced the ~ symbol, but not [itex]\approx[/itex]).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted