1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Theorem/Stokes' theorem

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

I am having trouble with this "simple" problem involving these two theorems:

Find the value of the integral (A dot da) over the surface s, where A = xi - yj + zk and S is the closed surface defined by the cylinder c^2 = x^2 + y^2. The top and bottom of the cylinder are z= 0 and z=d.

From common sense, integrating circular layers from z=0 to z=d should give the volume of a cylinder. The book doesn't have any sample problem so I don't know which theorem to apply, and how.

Here's a more complicated question:

Find the value of the integral (curl A da) over the surface s, where A = yi + zj + xk and S is the closed surface defined by the paraboloid z=1-x^2-y^2 where z >=0

I appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Find the value of the integral (A dot da) over the surface s, where A = xi - yj + zk and S is the closed surface defined by the cylinder c^2 = x^2 + y^2. The top and bottom of the cylinder are z= 0 and z=d."
    Find div A. (It is a constant.) Then just multiply by the volume of a cylinder.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Find the value of the integral (curl A da) over the surface s, where A = yi + zj + xk and S is the closed surface defined by the paraboloid z=1-x^2-y^2 where z >=0"
    By either the div theorem or Stokes' theorem, the integral of curl over a closed surface=0. Prove it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?