1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Beam focused using a lens

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I'm really confused about this one, =(
    Suppose I have a guassian beam that is colliminated (beam expanded) and then suppose i let it passed through a lens to focus it.

Given an initial waist and focal length of the lens. How can i find the waist (or half width) at the focus?

2. Relevant equations

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

There's an approximation using the formula above

w(z)=(lambda*z)/(pi*w0)

where w0 is the waist at focus and z is the distance from it, so if i let z=f i can solve for w0
    but this only works if z >> pi(w0)/lambda

how about for the case when z is small (or the focal length is small), i cant seem to solve it using the above equations.

Thanks~ ^^;

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF! :smile:

Sorry about the late reply, don't know how I missed your question earlier.

There's another equation for the angle of a Gaussian beam, given it's wavelength and waist size (at the focus). You can use that, as long as the focal length is much much longer than ZR -- and you can verify if that's true after you have found wo at the focus.

EDIT: Oh, I see you want a more general result, one that does not assume f>>ZR . Hang on while I check in my old Lasers textbook ... I'll post back soon

EDIT #2: Okay. What you want is to look up the "q parameter" for Gaussian beams, and how ABCD matrices can be used in calculating Gaussian beam propagation. Do you have a textbook that discusses these in detail?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    looked up the 'q parameter' and you're right~
    Just need the Matrix ABCD to calculate the beam parameters at any z.

thank you! ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?