1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian distribution

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    Hello, I am attaching what was an extra credit question in my physics class which I didn't understand at all. The topic isn't in the book and all the internet searchs I read confuse me. I was hoping someone might give me a walk through.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem states the integral value that is "under the bell curve" between x = - 1 and x = 1, for a Gaussian distribution with xm = 0 and σx = 1, which is the numerator of the probability expression (the denominator is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}[/itex]). You should verify this by comparing the two formulas (the one on the left and the one at the top).

Since the integral is defined between -1 to 1, it is defined from xm - σx to xm + σx where xm = 0 and σx = 1.

Let [itex]C(\sigma)=\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}[/itex], then the answer is 1.7/C(1), for the standard Gaussian. Since [itex]C(1)=\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] = 2.5, the probability is 1.7/2.5 = 0.68.

But I can convert the standard Gaussian random variable x (with xm = 0 and σx = 1) to any other Gaussian random variable (with an arbitrary xm [itex]\ne[/itex] 0 and an arbitrary σx > 0) by multiplying the standard one with σx > 0 then adding xm [itex]\ne[/itex] 0. For example, X = σx Y + xm where Y is the standard Gaussian and X is any Gaussian, with mean xm [itex]\ne[/itex] 0 and standard deviation σx > 0.

Let f(x;xmx) be the Gaussian density with an arbitrary xm and an arbitrary σx > 0. f(x;xmx) is identical to the formula on the left margin. The special case of standard Gaussian, f(y;0,1) is identical to the formula at the top of the page.

The conversion X = σx Y + xm does not affect the probability value as long as the bounds of integration (and the C value) are adjusted accordingly. Thus,

[tex]\int_{x_m-\sigma_x}^{x_m+\sigma_x}f(x;x_m,\sigma_x)dx\left/C(\sigma_x) = \int_{-1}^{1}f(y;0,1)dy\right/C(1) = 1.7/C(1) = 0.68.[/tex]

So the answer is 0.68 not only for the standard Gaussian but for any Gaussian distribution.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?