1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Elimination matrix

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the Gaussian elimination matrix for the vector for the vector [itex]v=(2,-10,16,2)[/itex]?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand the question. What is a "Gaussian elimination matrix for a vector?" I know that Gaussian elimination is a method for solving a system of linear equations, but I'm not sure what is meant/how to find the Gaussian elimination matrix, given a vector. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'll take a stab at it, since no one else has replied.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & | & 2 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & | & -10 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & | & 16 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & | & 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

What I'm showing here is a row-reduced augmented matrix that represents a system, for which the solution is the vector <2, -10, 16, 2>.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My guess would be that if you regard v as a _column_ vector they want you to determine the matrix E such that Ev becomes a simple unit vector, such as (1,0,0,0)^T,or maybe (2,0,0,0)^T. After all, that is how Gaussian elimination works: we determine linear combinations of rows such that a column is simplified; row operations = multiplication on the left by a matrix. (Or, maybe they want v to be a row vector, just as written, in which case they want a matrix E such that vE = something simple, like (2,0,0,0).)

RGV

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the replies guys but I've solved this problem. In case you were wondering, I needed to find a matrix such that the image of the vector (2,-10,16,2) is the vector (2,-10,16,0). Pretty simple, I was just confused as to what exactly a "gaussian elimination matrix" was. :smile:

6. Jan 5, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is this question you should have asked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook