Understanding Gaussian Elimination Matrices for Solving Linear Equations

In summary, the poster needed to find a matrix that would transform the vector (2,-10,16,2) to the vector (2,-10,16,0). The confusion was caused by the unfamiliar term "Gaussian elimination matrix".
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

What is the Gaussian elimination matrix for the vector for the vector [itex]v=(2,-10,16,2)[/itex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the question. What is a "Gaussian elimination matrix for a vector?" I know that Gaussian elimination is a method for solving a system of linear equations, but I'm not sure what is meant/how to find the Gaussian elimination matrix, given a vector. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Samuelb88 said:

Homework Statement

What is the Gaussian elimination matrix for the vector for the vector [itex]v=(2,-10,16,2)[/itex]?

I don't understand the question. What is a "Gaussian elimination matrix for a vector?" I know that Gaussian elimination is a method for solving a system of linear equations, but I'm not sure what is meant/how to find the Gaussian elimination matrix, given a vector. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks

I'll take a stab at it, since no one else has replied.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & | & 2 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & | & -10 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & | & 16 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & | & 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

What I'm showing here is a row-reduced augmented matrix that represents a system, for which the solution is the vector <2, -10, 16, 2>.

Samuelb88 said:

Homework Statement

Thanks

My guess would be that if you regard v as a _column_ vector they want you to determine the matrix E such that Ev becomes a simple unit vector, such as (1,0,0,0)^T,or maybe (2,0,0,0)^T. After all, that is how Gaussian elimination works: we determine linear combinations of rows such that a column is simplified; row operations = multiplication on the left by a matrix. (Or, maybe they want v to be a row vector, just as written, in which case they want a matrix E such that vE = something simple, like (2,0,0,0).)

RGV

Thanks for the replies guys but I've solved this problem. In case you were wondering, I needed to find a matrix such that the image of the vector (2,-10,16,2) is the vector (2,-10,16,0). Pretty simple, I was just confused as to what exactly a "gaussian elimination matrix" was. :smile:

Samuelb88 said:
In case you were wondering, I needed to find a matrix such that the image of the vector (2,-10,16,2) is the vector (2,-10,16,0).
This is this question you should have asked.
Samuelb88 said:
Pretty simple, I was just confused as to what exactly a "gaussian elimination matrix" was. :smile:

1. What is Gaussian Elimination matrix?

Gaussian Elimination matrix is a mathematical method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the equations into a triangular form using row operations, making it easier to find the solution.

2. How does Gaussian Elimination matrix work?

Gaussian Elimination matrix works by using three types of row operations: swapping two rows, multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another row. These operations are used to eliminate variables and create a triangular form, making it easier to solve the system of equations.

3. What are the advantages of using Gaussian Elimination matrix?

One of the main advantages of Gaussian Elimination matrix is that it provides a systematic and efficient way to solve systems of linear equations. It also allows for easy manipulation of the equations, making it easier to find the solution. Additionally, the method can be extended to larger matrices and systems with more variables.

4. What are the limitations of Gaussian Elimination matrix?

Gaussian Elimination matrix can become computationally expensive for large systems of equations, especially if there are many variables involved. It can also lead to round-off errors, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, this method cannot be used for systems that have no solution or infinite solutions.

5. How is Gaussian Elimination matrix used in real-life applications?

Gaussian Elimination matrix is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve systems of equations. It is also used in computer graphics to solve problems involving linear transformations. Additionally, it is used in machine learning algorithms to solve systems of equations and find optimal solutions.