Solving a System by Gaussian Elimination: Help Needed

In summary, the person is having trouble solving a system and is asking for help. They provide the values of a and v1, v2, v3, and ask if a belongs to the span of those vectors. They have tried using Gauss elimination but keep hitting dead ends and ask for someone to show the steps to start. They explain that they can't get enough zeros in the bottom row. After a suggestion to show their work, they realize that they were making mistakes due to being tired and are able to solve the problem the next morning.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

for some reason I am having real trouble trying to solve this system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a=(10,11,4) v1=(2,1,4) v2=(-1,-2,1) v3=(3,3,-1)

the qstn does a belong to the span (v1,v2,v3)?

so I do gauss elim

but I keep running into dead ends can someone please show just the steps to start i.e. R1=R2 +R3

because every time I have tried I can't get the bottom row to have ENOUGH 0'S!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please show your work so that we may see how far you have gone and where you have gotten stuck?

I do not see anything special about this system. Show us what goes wrong for you.

voko said:
I do not see anything special about this system. Show us what goes wrong for you.

Well as it turns out it was really easy I just kept making mistakes (it was really late at night)
tried it the next morning and I got it fine.
apparently my brain does not work very well when deprived of sleep. Thanks though

1. What is Gaussian elimination and how does it work?

Gaussian elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves performing operations on the equations to eliminate variables until only one variable remains in each equation. This allows us to easily solve for the remaining variables and find the solution to the system.

2. Why is Gaussian elimination an important tool in solving systems of equations?

Gaussian elimination is important because it provides a systematic way of solving systems of equations that can become very complex. It also allows us to easily find the solution to a system of equations without having to guess and check or use other trial-and-error methods.

3. What are the main steps involved in Gaussian elimination?

The main steps in Gaussian elimination are: 1) putting the equations into a matrix form, 2) using row operations to eliminate variables and create zeros in the matrix, 3) back-substituting to solve for the remaining variables, and 4) checking the solution by plugging it back into the original equations.

4. Can Gaussian elimination be used to solve any system of equations?

Yes, Gaussian elimination can be used to solve any system of linear equations. However, it may not always be the most efficient method, especially for larger systems. In some cases, other methods such as graphing or substitution may be more effective.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian elimination?

One limitation of Gaussian elimination is that it can only be used to solve systems of linear equations. It cannot be applied to systems involving nonlinear equations. Additionally, if a system has infinitely many solutions or no solutions, Gaussian elimination may not provide a unique solution. In these cases, other methods or further analysis may be needed.