1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian elimination

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1
    2 1 1 | 4
    -1 2 1 | 3
    7 6 5 | 19

Need a little help please

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2005 #2
    Im not going to do the whole thing, but I like to try and eliminate the stuff below the top left number first.

Say, R3+7R2, will get rid of the -7. And will make the bottom row 0 20 12 | 40, id then divide by 2. Makes things easier. Then move onto another number.

I used to really suck at this, it takes a lot of goes before you can do it without trouble.

4. Sep 1, 2005 #3
    Im not going to do the whole thing, but I like to try and eliminate the stuff below the top left number first.

Say, R3+7R2, will get rid of the -7. And will make the bottom row 0 20 12 | 40, id then divide by 2. Makes things easier. Then move onto another number.

I used to really suck at this, it takes a lot of goes before you can do it without trouble.

5. Sep 1, 2005 #4
    Thank you, the book doesn't explain to good and I just needed a jump start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?